Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #51
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

vCash: 500
I think the best actual opponent Aoki can face is Jason High, and that's only owing to Kevin Mulhall's shitty stoppage resulting in High losing his composure. As for Askren, I think the best hope for a competitive fight is that somehow Toquinho loses the WSOF strap, then wants to go collect some frequent flyer miles in Asia. Askren is more than likely gonna TKO Toquinho in under 10 minutes, but at least there's the chance he gets his leg put on backwards. A fighter with an arsenal like Toquinho is always going to be more interesting than your average 12-2 homie getting the call-up to be a sacrificial lamb.

And yet, both of those are incredibly far fetched. One FC have their work cut out for them when it comes to being able to match these talents relevantly. Now that Askren has the title, there's not going to be serious interest simply because he's fighting. There has to be a foil. We're already at that stage with Aoki. Hell, think about Shinya Aoki: he was never incredibly well-liked, but people still wanted to stay up late, watch him fight on AXS, see if he could pull off a dazzling submission.

Now, even if you loved watching Aoki's exploits in the past, you know he's just going to catch a textbook submission on an overmatched ham-and-egger when you do see him. Why would you wake up? Why would you care? I feel like even the world's biggest Shinya Aoki fans don't get stoked to see him fight any more, and that's actually quite sad. He's a beautiful bird and shouldn't be caged like this.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #52
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntTrauma21 View Post
One more question for you, what do you think about Kelvin/Ellenberger? I know it's still a ways off but it's seems like a fun matchup and this'll be Jake's third loss in a row if he doesn't get the win, does he get the hammer if he doesn't get past Kelvin?
It breaks the usual trend of Silva and Shelby's "winners fight winners, losers fight losers," but I still like it. For me, it's an advancement on what they tried with the Rick Story fight, where you have an experienced, physically explosive fighter, but one you can wear down and beat with savvy tactics. Ellenberger is a seven-minute fighter with electrifying power and stout wrestling. If Gastelum has all the natural prowess we think, he should be able to box Ellenberger up, blend his own wrestling in, find a way to get the W. I certainly like him to do so.

But, one of the reasons I think Silva chose a fight like this is the fact that Gastelum not only needs more of those tiny, incremental steps up the ladder, but his biggest problems are out-of-the-cage issues like not having a manager, not getting his weight cut down, etc. This should be a fight where the style match-up is obvious and strategy is clear. Gastelum's focus needs to be prepping like a pro. If he gets the out-of-the-cage stuff straightened, we're likely talking about a top-10 welterweight in his early 20's and still improving, which is definite "Yee haw!" territory.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #53
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

Also, it took me a while to come around, but guys, let me tell you: I'm about Lil Herb. This new track is fire. Chicago might have a horrific amount of gun violence, but at least people are making great music about its streets: http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2014/08/...-flight-remix/

Old 08-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #54
JonSnitchPhones

Red Belt

Are you any more impressed with Holloway after last weekend? I know he faced a low-level prospect for the UFC, but I think he was as impressive against that type of opponent as he could be. Collard tried to Diego him to a victory with hyper-aggression and toughness, but Max kept his feet moving in the stand-up to stay clean enough, and eventually countered a ground attack while finishing there, showing more of his evolution as a fighter. I see some Carlos Condit. What about you, and while we're on the subject, he took another fight already, so how do you see that going?

Pettis Gets Justice Against a Melendez Brother in December, B4 Making Shish-Khabib
Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #55
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnitchPhones View Post
Are you any more impressed with Holloway after last weekend? I know he faced a low-level prospect for the UFC, but I think he was as impressive against that type of opponent as he could be. Collard tried to Diego him to a victory with hyper-aggression and toughness, but Max kept his feet moving in the stand-up to stay clean enough, and eventually countered a ground attack while finishing there, showing more of his evolution as a fighter. I see some Carlos Condit. What about you, and while we're on the subject, he took another fight already, so how do you see that going?
"More impressed"? Well, it was another occasion in which Holloway thrilled and delighted me, so in a way, yes. I actually thought Collard acquitted himself well as a late replacement coming in against a stylistically tough fight and making Holloway work his tail off for a finish.

I like that you bring up Condit. Nevermind the similar body types and styles (albeit Condit is a better grappler), when Condit emerged as a prospect, you knew he was good, but it was hard to tell how good because he was so young, awkward, skinny and unpolished. He took some tough L's like the Healy fight, bounced back and kept clawing. I see a lot of those same traits in Holloway. Like Condit, he's a flashy fighter with a flair for the violent and dramatic, but you talk to him, and he's a simple man who wants to be the best fighter he can be. Comparisons in MMA can be so gauche; black guys who can slam folks are all Rampage, a Japanese guy who leglocks will get compared to Imanari. But, Holloway-Condit is an inspired comparison, and I like it. I could see Holloway having that slow, incremental emergence over a few years, then suddenly people step back and think, "Man, how did he do it? He's a top-10 guy now, wow."

As for him stepping in for Jung, great move. Corassani is an OK fighter, but not a real threat to Holloway. Holloway can KO him, or hurt him then tap him. I think he gets another finishes and closes 2014 at 4-0. Any time you get people excited about your career and go 4-0 in a calendar year for the UFC, things are looking up.

Also, great user name.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #56
Jordan Breen
Senior Moderator

Alright team, that'll do it for another Friday.

As always, if you need to get at me or simply want to shit talk me directly, email me at jbreen at sherdog dot com, or hit me up on Twitter, @JordanBreen.

Stay tuned to Sherdog.com for all your pre-, during and post-UFC 177 coverage, including Beatdown After the Bell with me and TJ De Santis live on the Sherdog Radio Network following the fights. Also, One FC recap coming in minutes, Legacy FC play-by-play tonight and much, much more.

Enjoy some fights, however you may see 'em. Peace.

Closed Thread