Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #51
lapollarecords

Black Belt

vCash: 500
He picked karate and later BJJ really fast. He is a fast learner. Common sense says he will get a lot better in MMA with more time.

lapollarecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #52
KarateKickbox22
Wolf Ticket Salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ScorpioN View Post
Yes, came here to post that Gunnar is undersized. The top of WW, like Hendricks, Lombard, woodley, all of them are very big welterweights, not only Gunnar wouldn't take them down, he'll get outmuscled and KO'd.
This.

Machida
Pettis
Condit

Professional beer drinker.
KarateKickbox22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #53
fortheo

Purple Belt

I must have been watching a different fight than the rest of you. His stand up looked fine, he just isn't aggressive with it (like most karate fighters) Cummings never really landed either, cummings would be aggressive and then eat the occasional counter right from Gunnar. It just looked like shit because Gunnar wasn't doing much besides dodging the whole time. I still think Gunnar won the stand up pretty easily in that fight though.

fortheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #54
fortheo

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukai View Post
These threads are stupid.

His striking is problematic because his output is very low.

But when did he get hit? He ate leg kicks and weak knees in the clinch. With all those flurries against the cage that Cummins threw, he barely hit Gunnar at all... and when Gunnar attacked, he hit Cummins almost every time.

He may lose a decision to a guy he can't take down, but he isn't getting TKO'd.
This is exactly what I saw. It just seemed lackluster because of the lack of output by gunnar, but when he threw, he connected.

fortheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #55
lildog
A Warrior's Heart

I wonder how Gunnar would do against Wonderboy or even Detroit Superstar? Right now I think he'd have huge issues with top tier guys like Woodley, Rory, Condit, or even Maia and Story.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #56
Jukai

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildog View Post
I wonder how Gunnar would do against Wonderboy or even Detroit Superstar? Right now I think he'd have huge issues with top tier guys like Woodley, Rory, Condit, or even Maia and Story.

Jukai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #57
kaunman24
Excellent

Im surprised to see a lot of criticism of Nelson right now. He maybe should fight a fringe top 10 guy and go from there. Everyone is acting like his fight against a tomato can is representitive of how he'd fight a legit threat.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #58
Dooze

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateKickbox22 View Post
Comparing Gunnar's striking to Machida's is a joke, IMO.
The only reason I made any comparison is because the TC did. They're both two of the few fighters to employ a karate based striking stance and use angles/movements and due to their style throw focus more on accuracy than output.

Other than the style, I don't think there's really a comparison in terms of quality. Machida is a better karate fighter than Gunnar, but Gunnar is still a decent striker. I used the comparison of them in terms of accuracy and shots thrown to mainly show that Gunnar has a high accuracy, if a slightly lower output than Machida, who is regarded as a good striker and very accurate but gets a bit of stick for his output.

It's not a comparison of their striking quality in comparison to each other(though it can look like that), mostly just arguing unlike what the TC said about Gunnar being a poor striker, that he's actually decent in terms of accuracy but just needs to increase his output, as it's a bit less than a fighter that gets slated for not throwing enough (I'd imagine Machida's flurries are the main reason for this, Nelson has't really done that much and just looks for single shots).

Apologies, I'm drunk but my main point is that it's not a comparison of quality, but just how they both focus mostly on accuracy over output which I guess is more of a characteristic of a karate background, since you're likely not going to be throwing out punches as much as your average boxer/kickboxer/muay thai fighter.

Dooze is online now   Reply With Quote