Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #121
MayhemMonkey919

Red Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarlSkuld View Post
Such vitriol in this thread...it`s amusing and sad at the same time.

I think it`s safe to say the UFC and Holly Holm need each other. Holly is done with boxing. She beat some good fighters, but ultimately decided to duck the top echelon and avoid getting KOed again. Plus, women`s boxing is as cold as a frozen dinner, and women`s MMA is taking off now. It`s clear she wants to fight in MMA from now on. But, she can`t just keep quashing cans in local promotions; she`ll never make a big payday that way. And, there`s the instability of finding new opponents...not to mention that she would be finished if she happened to lose to a can. The only paths for her are: join Invicta and fight until she wins the bantam weight strap, then go to the UFC...or just go direct to the UFC.

But, the UFC also needs her. Ronda beat McMann (her most credible challenger) so easily, that they are now desperate to find someone credible to put opposite Ronda (never mind that she has two excellent opponents in Zingano and Davis). Ideally, they want to have Holly fight 2-3 times, maybe get some decisive wins/finishes and build her up to fight Ronda after Zingano..and maybe Alexis too. Then, they can book a more high-profile Rousey-Holm (I can already hear Joe Rogan saying "Ronda has looked dominant thus far in her MMA career, but she has never faced a striker the likes of Holly Holm. Holly is an absolute...")

Of course, Holly wants to extract as much money as possible from the UFC and they want to pay her as little as possible (at least until she proves herself a bit)...this is the nature of the business. But, they need each other and their goals are virtually identical, so they will work something out. Even Holly`s management says they want to get 2-3 fights before fighting Ronda. I suspect we will see Holly debut on a UFC card sometime around late summer...maybe on the same card as Rousey-Zingano.

Jarl
again I disagree with you Jarl, the UFC in no way NEED Holly Holm, Id rather see Ronda fight Lauren Murphy who unlike Holly has actually achieved something in MMA

philippians 4:13 - Thou shalt drive drunk at the radium in the company of several women, none of which shall be your baby mama!

Now happily hugging the nuts of TJ Dillashaw
MayhemMonkey919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #122
Felis

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey919 View Post
again I disagree with you Jarl, the UFC in no way NEED Holly Holm, Id rather see Ronda fight Lauren Murphy who unlike Holly has actually achieved something in MMA
While I agree that they don't NEED Holly Holm as much as she needs them, I'm sure they'd much rather sign Holly than Lauren.

Felis is offline   Reply With Quote