Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Fartler

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Match ups to clear up divisions

There's quite a few divisions right now that have several contenders at the cusp of a title shot, but the champs are all tied up in matches 5 months away.

Who seems like the next contender for each division, and what match ups should they make to find one? What card should they be on so that when they find the winner, it wont be far from when the champ last fought?

HW- This division has no where to go at the moment. The biggest fight they have coming up is Nelson vs. Hunt. Is that fight number one contender worthy? The next fight that would be up for a title shot is Dos Santos vs. Stipe (not officially announced). But Dos Santos doesn't deserve a shot after one win again. The best thing for this division would be for Werdum to win the title. Then you have an immediate rematch, or Dos Santos can have a rematch with Werdum for the title.

LHW- This one drives me crazy. I think Rumble is up there for a title shot. I think he should fight Gus for the next number 1 contender. I think Gus will want to wait, forcing Rumble to take a fight with Bader on the Phoenix FOX card. Then I think they will put Gus vs. Rashad on the superbowl card for number one contender. Thats the long way of doing it, when they should just put Rumble vs. Gus together.

MW- Jacare, Moussasi, Rockhold, Kennedy, Romero... All of which are very close to the gold, but who gets the next shot after Vitor? Rockhold needs a bigger name under his belt in the UFC to really put a stamp on being that guy. He has beaten Jacare and Kennedy and I'm sure he would do it again, but they need to give him a big name fight before they just throw another middle of the pack guy that he picks apart (Ex. C.B. Dollaway). If Moussasi wins, does he get the next shot? Are they going to match Rockhold with Machida in late October? Will that make Rockhold number one contender, even if Jacare beats Moose and will be 4 fight win streak in the UFC?

WW- We know Lawler has the next shot.. But when? Its not superbowl weekend, because Anderson/Diaz has that slot. Its might be new years, but that might be too early for Hendricks, so we are looking at a late Feb or March PPV return for Hendricks. That's a year of recovering. So in the mean time we have Rory, Tarec, Kim, and Hector. Kim fights next week, so he may fight Hector if he wins. Rory vs Tarec happens in 2 months. So will they have the winner of that fight one more time (possibly on the same card as Hendricks vs Lawler) to declare a number one contender?

LW- This one is similar to the HW division. The most deserving guy of a title shot has lost twice to the champ. He can most likely beat the top contenders of the division. So do they build up a Cerrone and have him avoid Henderson to get a title shot? Or do we have a super match up between Cerrone and Henderson for the third time assuming they both win their upcoming match ups? Others towards the top would be Khabib (injured), Grant (injured/no fight announced), Bobby Green (I feel like he needs one more big name win if he beats Cerrone), Micheal Johnson (him vs Grant/Pearson?). No one but Henderson and Cerrone deserve a shot and they both lost to the current champ.

FW- So we have the title fight in October. We have contenders in Cub and Edgar. Cub is far more deserving than Edgar is at the moment. But it looks like Cub should take another fight and Edgar does fit the bill. Bermudez is on a 7 fight win streak and he's a guy that looks like he's realistically 2 or 3 wins away from a title shot unless someone gets injured and he fills in. We have Connor McGreggor vs Poirier who looks to be getting a major boost whoever wins that fight. So does Bermudez fight the winner of that 178 match up? while Cub vs Edgar happens for number one contender?

BW- Right now the title fight is going to Renan Barao. Did he deserve it? (I personally don't think so) It just takes way longer to sort out the division. We still have Assuncao and Cruz both with upcoming fights. But who gets the title shot? They guy that's been active with a decision over the now-Champ (even though I thought Dillashaw got the nod in that one. Extremely close) or the guy that was the champ that lost his belt due to a string of injuries. I personally think Cruz gets it. Its a better match up that draws in more money for the ufc than Assuncao. Its a tough situation because Assuncao gets screwed. He keeps taking on fights against guys that are in the middle of the pack and if he loses nobody would care to consider him a top guy again until he goes on another win streak.

FlyW- Lets put Uncle Creepy vs Lineker on UFC 179 in Brazil for the number one contender. That's the only way to go unless Cariasso gets injured.

Womens BW- Don't really care, but who is Rousey going to fight? I'd say Cat Zingano if she wins at UFC 178. It'd be super pathetic to give Carano a title fight when she hasnt fought in years.

But these are my thoughts about the divisions near future, what are yours?

Mighty Mouse
Alvarez
Porier
Romero
Zingano
Cruz
Masvidal

"If there was video of BJ sucking someone’s d*ck I would still be a fan for the rest of my life…" - Eddie Bravo
Fartler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Hendo101

Green Belt

HW is doomed because Cain will eat anyone the UFC feeds him.

LHW & MW is a cluster fuck unless fighers are booked properly.

WW, LW, & FW have many contenders in line and will be interesting for awhile.

BW will be okay because Cruz is back and he hasn't fought Dillashaw or Barao yet.

FLW & WBM is like an experiment for each division. Contenders are feed to the champ in hopes of building the champs name/stock or finding another Dillashaw/Cinderella story.

Dan Henderson
Junior dos Santos
Hendo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
werdumau5
Banned

vCash: 400
Nice breakdown

werdumau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
bigdavyp

White Belt

This vs. all divisions. Division cleared. Now what?

bigdavyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Devilboy86

Orange Belt

HW: Do Stipe VS JDS... if Stipe wins he gets shot. If stipe loses then you put Hunt / Nelson winner vs Overeem / Rothwell winner in like Jan and winner of that fights Cain in Aug / Sept.

LHW: Easy... Gus VS Rumble

MW: Jacare / Mousasi winner should be next contender

WW: Lawler / Hendricks fight isnt even announced yet so no need to be worried about a conteder for WW for awhile...

LW: Dont know when Khabib is back but I'm sure Pettis can wait for a Khabib / Cerrone fight to play out to determine next contender

FW: Cub / Edgar

BW: Cruz Mizugaki winner should get next shot

Fly: Dodson should be next challenger... MM fights often so probably not enough time to get Dodson another fight before a title shot.

Devilboy86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Pecker123

Black Belt

WW is so deep you can pretty much do a tournament to decide the next contender after Lawler.

Pecker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Codpiece

Black Belt

MW is fine, they just need to have the guys who haven't had a shot yet in the top 8 fight it out to get the shot. Machida can definitely earn another shot with only two wins as well.

FW and LW problems could be solved suddenly if Aldo decided to move up, assuming he beats Mendes. He'd get an instant shot at LW, giving the division more time to take shape, and there are enough top guys at FW to have an interesting title picture for a good long while.

I am Carlos Condit's most reasonable fanboy.
Codpiece is online now   Reply With Quote