Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #101
TonyK

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Jones is insanely well rounded, athletic and talented in MMA as a sport - so he's comfortable against most stylistic matchups the UFC throws at him, most of which are proficient in much less areas of combat than Jon.

Gustafsson can beat Jones in a boxing match, his background in boxing is clear when he fights, but in their MMA fight I see Jones' well roundness prevailing.

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #102
VegetaGD

Purple Belt

Fight played out for the most part as I expected, with the exception of Jones catching and really hurting Gus with the spinning elbow. I'd have to look at it again, but I think Gus got either gassed and couldn't defend or was too cocky with his chin and gave Jones that shot.

Anyhow, glad to see we have something to talk about @ LHW!

VegetaGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #103
Formless

Orange Belt

No other striker has faced Jones besides maybe Machida properly positioned themselves or had great defense. Machida's footwork is mostly back and forth as well as opposed to side to side, and his hands arent that great either. AG's amateur boxing experience really showed.

If AG can learn to check or block kicks consistently he's got Jones' number (though Jones will also improve of course)

Formless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #104
VegetaGD

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formless View Post
No other striker has faced Jones besides maybe Machida properly positioned themselves or had great defense. Machida's footwork is mostly back and forth as well as opposed to side to side, and his hands arent that great either. AG's amateur boxing experience really showed.

If AG can learn to check or block kicks consistently he's got Jones' number (though Jones will also improve of course)
I'm disappointed in AG's loss, but I had Jones winning 3 to 2. Had AG avoided that devastating elbow, he'd have won the 4th and probably won the fight.

AG needs to add the following to his arsenal:

a) Cardio - He didn't have quite enough gas to go 5 hard rounds
b) Aggression - He often pressed just to the point where Jones was out of his comfort zone and then stopped. If he wants to be a champion, he's gotta be willing to go for the kill
c) Tighten up - Because of his ridiculous gifts of his chin, size, speed, and striking, I think he's sort of become a sloppy defensive fighter. There were a lot of shots that Jones caught him with that, quite simply, should have been avoidable.
d) Confidence - I think the first fight with Jones will go a long way towards this, but I couldn't help but think that Alex respected Jones too much in certain occasions.

VegetaGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #105
Grimm911
Shazbot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
Gus takes jones down. calling it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff1980 View Post
Hahahahahahahaha.....

Lulzy Prairieboy