Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion > The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion

The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion Discuss The Ultimate Fighter reality show and Spike-related topics here.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
Joe Dwarf

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThrillhouse View Post
Their regular fighting weights

Peggy Morgan, FW cutting to BW
Peggy begs to differ:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Morgan's twitter
Hey Internet: all but one of my fights have been at 135. So y'all can stop saying I'm a featherweight. I'm just a big ass bantam.

Joe Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Thirdpres

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dwarf View Post
Peggy begs to differ:
Due to the CFA Featherweight Tournament most people know of Peggy Morgan as a Featherweight but her first pro fight was a Bantamweight fight from what I read about it when the fight was first listed. I have noticed that fight listed as a catchweight fight at 120lbs! on Tapology. *

I have also seen contradictory info on her ammy fights but this link indicates a 2nd ammy fight at Bantamweight: http://thewmma.com/2012/03/peggy-mor...st-jen-rivera/ If I had to guess people marketing and covering the CFA Tourney didn't get the correct info about Morgan out and have left many people confused.

Jen Rivera vs Peggy Morgan Mar 17, 2012 at Cagefighting Extreme 19 (Ammy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Some of the fighters on TUF have been fighting at Flyweight have actually fought at Bantamweight in the past.

Roxanne Modafferi in particular, she didn't decide to drop down to Flyweight until after her fight with Sarah Kaufman. I recall Modafferi thinking, for a long time, that she could not cut enough weight and be healthy to make Flyweight - that was years ago now. Modafferi wants to fight at Flyweight from what she has had to say about it (on this very thread) now though. Modafferi even fought some Open Weight fights in Japan, I think Marloes Coenen weighed upwards of 152lbs in one of those.

I believe Jessica Rakoczy fought Zoila (Frausto) Gurgel at Bantamweight and Felice Herrig at a catchweight of 130lbs. Rakoczy is better off at Flyweight, she doesn't carry much weight. Rakoczy fought Jennifer Scott, Michelle Ould, and Kristen Gatz** at Flyweight. Scott has since moved up to fight at Bantamweight and Kristen Gatz actually last fought a catchweight fight at 140lbs against Kelly Faszholz.

Julianna Pena fought Sarah Moras at Bantamweight if my memory serves.

Of course female fighters in MMA have tended to jump around in weight quite a bit, they go where the fights are.

* Unfortunately the weight of a given fight is often not well publicized so incorrect information gets in the way of accuracy. After the fact inventions of weights a fighter has fought at is common place. The further the time of the fight goes into the history the more likely misinformation is likely to spread about. That is why it is important that promotions get the information about the weight a fight took place at gets out to the media so that proper records are made. That means including the weight a fight has taken place of, not just the time, events, ref., promotion but the weight too.

** Kristen Gatz is about 5'2''. Rakoczy looked huge in comparison when they fought. Rakoczy is tall with a thin frame. A similar build to Modafferi's.

--
I have commented on an interview of read of Morgan's a few times but I figure I would share it as it touches on weight.

Is there anyone in the local scene that you see yourself fighting in the future?? I for one would love to see you fight Marianna Kheyfets.

There’s really no one on the local scene in my weight class. I agree that Marianna Kheyfets would be a good fight, but there’s no way I’m making 125. There’s also been chatter about me fighting Katie Merrill, but again, the size difference is an issue. 135 is a huge challenge for me, and at this point I’d really prefer to stay at 145. I’ll cut to 135 if a really good opportunity opens up for me at that weight, but I’m not going to do it just to get a fight in. It’s just too hard on my body.

http://www.westernmassmma.com/2013/0...ets-ready.html

--

Heather Jo Clark, 115er, with Roxanne Modafferi. Interesting comparison in size. Great to see them training together. Roxy is getting a workout. 8)

Last edited by Thirdpres; 09-09-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: It is kind of like the various claims of Morgan being 6' or 6'1''.
Thirdpres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
NaglfarCommando
Ryann Von Doom

Roxy and pena are the only two I know of that are 125ers coming up that are in the tuf house.

UFC = Budlight.. Watered down MMA
The Roddy Piper of MMA
NaglfarCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
LilMountain
Arsenal til I die

vCash: 29932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox22 View Post
I want them to make a 125 lb division. lol
If they did make 115, do you think you could cut down that far or would you stay at 135?

Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
OveratedCan

Green Belt

Alot of fighters who go on TUF normally fight at lower weights than the seasons weightclass,its cos they have to make weight alot of times in a short period.

But as others have said the talent pool outside the UFC is larger but the UFC only has one female weightclass so fighting at 135 is their only chance.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
NaglfarCommando
Ryann Von Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMountain View Post
If they did make 115, do you think you could cut down that far or would you stay at 135?
She fought at 125 before but I'm not sure she could make 115.

UFC = Budlight.. Watered down MMA
The Roddy Piper of MMA
NaglfarCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #27
LilMountain
Arsenal til I die

vCash: 29932
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaglfarCommando View Post
She fought at 125 before but I'm not sure she could make 115.
I didnt think so but was curious if she would try