Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #51
chefdiablo

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
I would not be surprised at all if it was an intentional move.

The UFC is a production from start to finish and the press conferences and media events are all a piece of that production.

The UFC will manipulate some things for the sake of conversation and image for sure.

It is a valid point. Trying to justify the judges decision while Gus is sitting there bruised up but overall mobile while the winner is in the hospital unable to walk around on his own might have fueled a controversial conversation that Dana largely wanted to avoid.

Life is full of 'production' moments. Stuff happens behind the scenes every day in restaurants and businesses that the public is not privy to. The UFC would have a greater motivation than most for directing the scene. GSP's story about pushing through security to get the the presser comes to mind. I believe his tale is true enough to his recollection.

It's like seeing the wizard behind the curtain for some people.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #52
HeexX

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
The EPA (Eye Poke Army) is insecure TS, be careful
I vanquished one of their members today. Apparently some facts got him really riled up and he started projecting his own mental issues onto me in two comments right after eachother. Strike one, yellows. Strike two - you're out.

I think his name was... "TheTruthSpeaker" or something along those lines. Just a whitebelt but it's always something

Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #53
DrunkinBlindnes

vCash: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdiablo View Post
The UFC will manipulate some things for the sake of conversation and image for sure.

It is a valid point. Trying to justify the judges decision while Gus is sitting there bruised up but overall mobile while the winner is in the hospital unable to walk around on his own might have fueled a controversial conversation that Dana largely wanted to avoid.
Yeah this was my point exactly. It has nothing to do with a "conspiracy." Dana was probably sitting there thinking how bad it would look and the kind of questions and feedback that would come from Gus being there and Jones not considering the circumstances.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #54
abracadordosaco
Banned

Quote:

The UFC is a production from start to finish and the press conferences and media events are all a piece of that production.

Life is full of 'production' moments. Stuff happens behind the scenes every day in restaurants and businesses that the public is not privy to. The UFC would have a greater motivation than most for directing the scene. GSP's story about pushing through security to get the the presser comes to mind. I believe his tale is true enough to his recollection.

Great post. It's like The Truman Show or The Investment Bureau.

abracadordosaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #55
RockUmSockUm

Black Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got GOAT View Post
I'm justifying it from a business perspective, an executive decision viewpoint. Was it shady? Yes, absolutely. They shouldn't be able to force anybody away from a press conference if they want to attend it. I scored the fight for Gus and am one of his biggest fans on this site and have been long before he fought Jones.
Yeah I get you. The UFC does a lot of shady stuff to help their business, but it's not ok and should not be tolerated. I don't know how important or newsworthy the postfight presser is, but deciding who get to attend and who doesn't just so Dana can advance his views of how fights went is more of the garbage that will bring in the criminal element and then the feds.

RockUmSockUm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #56
RockUmSockUm

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got GOAT View Post
Jones needing more medical attention, and rightfully so, than Gus is well documented by now. It took him nearly 2 months to recover fully from that fight, according to Jon himself, before he could get back into the gym. Gus said that it took him just 2-3 weeks before he was back in the gym training again. Jones said that recovering from that fight was horrible, again, his own words.

At least this "moral victory" has a stronger basis than say Machida vs. Weidman where many of Lyoto's fans on this board were assuming that Weidman was a broken man after the fight (ribs, jaw, elbow etc) due to the commission not being in a position to clear him until after he got those things checked out. Turns out, he was fine.
Matala is a blind Jones supporter so he won't listen to reason or even entertain discussion that puts Jones in a bad light. He has a lot of spin-doctoring to do on the forums with all the nonsense Jones posts on social media and it's weighing on him heavily.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #57
RockUmSockUm

Black Belt

Quote:

The thing is that this is supposed to be a sport. The best part of sports is that it's unscripted, unrehearsed, and spur of the moment and we get to see it as it happens. Dana and co treat it more like a reality show where everything is washed through the Zuffa filter before it can be consumed by the masses. Just like with the Wizard and the Matrix, it will all come crashing down when people stand up to their bs.