Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #31
battery
believe in the power of one belt

vCash: 500
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljamain Sterling View Post
Sherdog!! What up!!! Thanks for watching guys and thanks for the feedback. I still have a lot more work to do, but I def think I used the right game plan, against a guy that swings bombs at you, the moment you step in his box. Hands up or not, taking too many of those brain-rattlers, just doesn't make sense, from the art of hitting without being hit. I didn't throw my hands, unless to set up a TD, because I didn't really have to. A lot of people think I can't box, and I'll gladly like for my future opponents to believe that assessment ;)
Any feedback is greatly appreciated, because I have an open mind to other ppl's perspective, so don't be shy to converse! Besides that I hope most of the exchanges were exciting because I never want to be labeled as a lay N pray guy, who doesn't have a killer instinct. I GO FOR FINISHES BABY!!!
i enjoyed your fight. viana is a tough fighter, so you looked that much better getting the finish. congratulations! i look forward to seeing you compete again soon.

battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #32
Tankeray
come up and get me

I like Viana and I was really impressed with Sterling...he looked very good

i'm a binge thinner i'm a Big Dipper
i'm a
Tankeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #33
Gigaton Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljamain Sterling View Post
Thats some good insight Phones. I do tend to throw one kick, w/lil setup, but Ray does a good job of reminding me when I do that. I do it a lot better in sparring, but I sometimes forget, in the moment of battle. As for opponents, there's a few fun fights that I like, that would be very competitive or just overall fun to watch, on paper. Off the top of my head, you have Kyang, Kimura, Doane, Delorme. Just overall fun fights, based on areas we specialize in. Caceres is a good fight too, but I think a lil too soon. He's a lot more seasoned than I am, and as the fighter, I take experience into factor too. I still feel I'd do well in that fight, but I wanna take my time, learn, understand my mindset a little more, so that I don't just win. I wanna dominate!
I like your attitude. Caceres is ranked in the top 10 now and if you fought and beat him, you're forced into fighting the higher levels of competition. No need to rush when you're only 24 and have been pro for just over 3 years. I think the Doane fight makes a lot of sense. Both 2-0 in the UFC but could still use some more seasoning before stepping in with the top guys.

Anyway, I'm just happy to see NY MMA really start to flourish.

Gigaton Punch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #34
Jeffplsgo

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 315MMAFighter View Post
Other way around dude, Will Brooks is boring, who wants to watch a guy get hugged for 5 rds?? Aljamain is versatile as FK, striking, wrestling, submissions, transitions, kicks, and Aljamain is in the real show, The UFC not PoopaTor
Your wit is beyond measure, sir.

Lions dont apologize for being lions, bro - Vitor "The Young Triceratops" Belfort.
Jeffplsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #35
HerpDerp

Purple Belt

vCash: 119
He's got some legitimate talent. His striking style has a lot of visible holes in it, but his sense of rhytm and timing is impeccable and clearly make up for his technical flaws. He's a nible motherfucker constantly on the move. Hard to attempt to take down and hard to land strikes cleanly on, since he will will only stand in front of you if the distance is to his liking. He feints a lot of different angles for his entries, and that's what makes it really hard to win a scoring contest against him in my opinion. He'll outland most of his opponents, much like Frankie Edgar even though they're nothing similar in fundamental striking terms.

Love watching him fight.

...and you, you chowder-head yokel, you blithering hayseed. You've had enough of me?"
HerpDerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #36
315MMAFighter

Black Belt

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
He's got some legitimate talent. His striking style has a lot of visible holes in it, but his sense of rhytm and timing is impeccable and clearly make up for his technical flaws. He's a nible motherfucker constantly on the move. Hard to attempt to take down and hard to land strikes cleanly on, since he will will only stand in front of you if the d is to his liking. He feints a lot of different angles for his entries, and that's what makes it really hard to win a scoring contest against him in my opinion. He'll outland most of his opponents, much like Frankie Edgar even though they're nothing similar in fundamental striking terms.

Love watching him fight.
Nice analysis, it's true what your saying, what's even cooler about Aljamain is he's young & still learning / evolving. He keeps going at the pace he's going, he will be destined to be a legit threat to anyone in the BW division, personally I believe he could destroy TJ Dillashaw, I cannot wait for the day Sterling fights Dodson as well, that is a fight I am dying to see, Aljamain vs George Roop, I want to watch Aljamain fight a lot of guys @BW, he is fun as Fuck to watch

315MMAFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #37
forrestcries

Brown Belt

I wasn't that impressed by the Gibson fight, but he looked amazing against Viana

forrestcries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #38
315MMAFighter

Black Belt

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcries View Post
I wasn't that impressed by the Gibson fight, but he looked amazing against Viana
Octagon Jitters + he was sick before the fight, literally right before the fight

315MMAFighter is offline   Reply With Quote