Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #181
linvillegorge

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
Because other sports are absolutely ridiculously wasteful in that regard.

Paying 20 mil for a dude to play soccer. Come on...

Resource mismanagement.
Resource mismanagement my ass. Those clubs are still raking in mega-bucks. The difference in other sports is that you have many teams competing for the talent. That drives the price up for the talent. The UFC is the only major show in town. There is no real competition. The fighters have virtually no leverage.

linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #182
dragonclaw

Orange Belt

Will you people please stop comparing NFL pay to UFC.

The NFL is a 35 billion dollar organization, the UFC, at best is a few billion.

Comparing apples and oranges my friends.

Disneyland Passport Holder
dragonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #183
Sherm

Purple Belt

Ed Herman somehow got 40 and 40 for an FS2 fight. Good for him, I guess it pays to stick around for awhile.

But I still wish some of the up and comers made closer to a living wage (maybe 12 and 12 as a minimum after your first fight). It would make their training camps better, less stress, etc. You could keep them hungry while still giving them enough to live off of.

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #184
Killuminati

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCADA View Post
Hence that's why the players get paid a lot more. Does that makes sense or do you want me to draw it in Crayon for you?
And here I thought you were going to say something rational and explain how this is in fact an efficient and ethical practice and how endowing a person who kicks a ball around or punches people in the face with far more power than any engineer or scientist is a sensible thing to do.

The fact that it makes sense in terms of free market mechanics doesn't make it any less absurd.

Killuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #185
lfd0311

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hto63 View Post
Their contracted pay is 41k and 21k, that's the only thing that matters.
NO. No it's not. 141 THOUSAND dollars is not irrelevant. Not even in the slightest.

Quote:
Bonuses are just that, bonus even though that might not fit your agenda.
What's my "agenda"? A bonus deffinently counts, especially a bonus to the tune of 141 k for 1 guy. To try to pretend otherwise is not only dishonest, it's flat out absurd.

Quote:
And the only bonus bottomfeeders like Lapsley, Wall or Montague get on top of the 8k they make is the brain damage, although that will last them forever I guess.
Aww. Gee. Brain damage. They must not have been aware before they got in there to fight that sombody might try to punch them in the face.

Quote:
Also you mean 3 months work, right? Because that's what most fighters put in to prepare for a 5 round fight.
3 months of going to the gym. Don't try and sit here and pretend that that's breaking the bank. And if it is, you should probably get a different job

Quote:
And their pay is minus all the things others mentioned before. They probably end up with half of what they were paid.
And they get to write almost all of it off at the end of the year. On top of that, this isn't unique for athletes, this stuff happens to construction contractors all the time, where is your outrage at that?

Quote:
But most importantly 3 months work that only a select few people on this world are willing and able to do and to succeed at the highest level.
They can literally find anyone to fight in a cage for money. Honestly, they can. Stop acting like these dudes are some sort of super hero because they happen to fight in a cage for a living.

Quote:
I know it hurts your ego but you are not special and don't deserve special treatment, the majority of UFC fighters are
LOL, what's truly funny about this post is 1.) you thought that made sense and 2.) you really thought you "got me" with that one. Why are you so emotionally invested in someone else's life? Not much going on in yours?

"HE CAN BENCH PRESS 300 POUNDS!!!!!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello
lfd0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #186
lfd0311

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWNewOrleans View Post
Money for food and every other write off still comes out of pocket first, and writing it off doesn't mean you get all that money back it just means you don't pay taxes on it.
And they get the vast majority, if not all of it, back in taxes. It's a work expense, they should get the full amount back

Old 05-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #187
lfd0311

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killuminati View Post
And here I thought you were going to say something rational and explain how this is in fact an efficient and ethical practice.

efficent and ethical? We're talking about business, what does efficency or ethics have to do with that?

Quote:
and how endowing a person who kicks a ball around or punches people in the face with far more power than any engineer or scientist is a sensible thing to do.
Oh, got it. You're yet another whiny entitled child