Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #41
Sohei
G in a gi

vCash: 500
Just have fighters wear this and there would be no eyepokes

Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #42
AppliedScience

Blue Belt

Yes, gloves should "bend the fingers" and reduce the severity of eye poking.
Mandatory point deductions are needed to reduce the frequency of eye poking.
_

_

AppliedScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #43
BORCAT
Banned

Just DQ the said fighter & the rest will get the hint real quick.

BORCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #44
oleDirtyBast4rd

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanshire View Post
This is really the best simple solution.

Make the penalty so severe for eyepokes that the fighters are strongly incentivized to train to keep their fingers in and the # of them will drop dramatically. As it stands every fighter knows he gets one free eye poke per fight so there's not really an incentive not to do it and some fighters will even take advantage of the situation.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but isn't it proper technique to throw a punch with a relaxed palm, and create a fist shortly before impact? From a physiological point it makes sense. If you are making a fist, you are using "endurance muscle" rather than "twitch muscle". To get the maximum snap, thus speed, on a punch, it's best to keep your hand nice and relaxed till moments before impact.

Now I'm not saying fighters should be able to wave their fingers out in peoples eyes as they back up and circle away. That should get a warning and then points taken. Accidental eye pokes will never go away. It's a nice thought, but then where do we stop? No more strikes to the head on the ground? I say leave the gloves, and enforce the rules.

Last edited by oleDirtyBast4rd; 10-23-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: changed text
oleDirtyBast4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #45
Zeroinnes
Minimalista XXI

"Final point: I recently watched the 2003, 2004, 2005, Bushido 2005, and 2006 Grand Prix PRIDE events in their entirety, but on super speed to make it quick. Dan Bobish had an eye issue in the opening fight of Final Conflict 2003, which was caused by punches, not from an extended finger. But other than that, there were no fights that were effected with eye pokes. If that isnt the argument for a pre-curved, more finger covered gloves with a tighter bind on the fingers, then there may not be an acceptable solution at all."

http://universalcombatnews.com/2013/...poke-solution/

Zeroinnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #46
liverkick83

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiguoren View Post
Do you have any idea how hard it is to do an RNC with that giant block on your hand??
No? How hard on a scale 1-10

liverkick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #47
TGArthur

Brown Belt

Deducting points more often would stop the pokes I bet

Asking someone from the UK an opinion on who would win vs Dan Hardy or Semtex is like asking an insurance salesman's opinion if you need insurance.
TGArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #48
bubkusjones

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleDirtyBast4rd View Post
Well, correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but isn't it proper technique to throw a punch with a relaxed palm, and create a fist shortly before impact? From a physiological point it makes sense. If you are making a fist, you are using "endurance muscle" rather than "twitch muscle". To get the maximum snap, thus speed, on a punch, it's best to keep your hand nice and relaxed till moments before impact.

Now I'm not saying fighters should be able to wave their fingers out in peoples eyes as they back up and circle away. That should get a warning and then points taken. Accidental eye pokes will never go away. It's a nice thought, but then where do we stop? No more strikes to the head on the ground? I say leave the gloves, and enforce the rules.
Relaxed is one thing. Fingers splayed out like you're a background dancer for some cheesy off-Broadway musical is completely different.

^This is NOT "relaxed" when punching, but that IS how a lot of fighters have their hands even while throwing punches (see the already-posted Jon Jones and Josh Koscheck pics for examples).

You can be relaxed and still have your hands closed in a loose fist. The "twitch" or "snap" comes from tightening up the muscles at the last second, not by having your hands flayed out and quickly making a fist just before connection.

Never judge a book by its shoddy movie release.
bubkusjones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #49
no fat chicks

Green Belt

vCash: 496
Pride gloves woulda worked

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #50
Quantum Leap

Brown Belt

Eye pokes aren't a significant problem in MMA. Stop whining.

Quantum Leap is offline   Reply With Quote