Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
ingoditrust

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Why 2014 will be exactly the way it should be for MMA.

I understand what has happened with GSP, Anderson, Cain being sidelined, and even to a lesser degree, the more notable fighters of the last ten years either being almost unheard of, or losing so much they are surviving in other organizations, but there is something that needs to be considered.

I remember being the guy who had to rent UFC vhs tapes from Jungle video, the guy who was sitting up late almost crying when Cro Cop got k-oed by Randleman in in Pride, lol, yes, streaming it from japan, or even just the Sherdog updates.

For all these new fans who think only Anderson, or Rousey are the people anyone will watch, you need to learn, as the sport keeps progressing, there will be more evolved styles, new fighters, and more to carry the flag.
Everyone nagging about the next few months of cards needs to go down the list and look at some of the fights being put together, some of the potential match ups that will come out of those results and set the pace for future title match ups.

The UFC as a brand will come through with some additional fan based match ups, but for me, who can sit here watching Jones/Gus on Fox 1 today, knowing we got Machida/Mousasi coming up, Hendrix/Lawler, Conduit/Woodley, Vitor/Weidman, Hunt vs Anyone, Browne's smashing of Barnett, plus all the little guys and the addition of the womens divisions, things are looking great.

Also, there is no way Georges, who has been competing at such a high level will be able to sit back much longer, unless things are deeply psychological, or criminal. His return would be the biggest to the sport and nothing will be expected of him, as he won't be the champ.

Personally, if the UFC plans their chess pieces in the right places they will continue to build the sport. The right card vs Bisping in England. Hunt in Australia... Brazil and on...

Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
kamag06

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
I think the UFC will take a bit of a step back in NA over the next couple of years but will grow worldwide......
The trend has already started and will continue. The only possible fight to do over 800,000 ppv buys in 2014 that I can see is Jones vs Gus 2 (if it happens)....
Of course this is only based on my opinion and I make that opinion based on the fact that I have rented or been to every ppv in 7 years and am slowly losing interest in what is coming up...
I could very well prove myself wrong though.... I just don't believe the UFC's model as it stands with such over saturation and very little opportunity to "get to know the fighters" is of a mindset for any fan that will invest in people rather than just the pure sport of MMA alone..... This is where I believe every other organization has had problems getting going in the past. They all put on great fights but it's hard to generate interest without that backstory, that's just a fact in today's North American reality TV environment....
There is no one with that "it" factor left, hopefully someone can come forward because that could get the interest back up.....