Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
ACT

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussar922 View Post
st pierre's game plans used to/always rely on being the better wrestler than strikers or the better striker than wrestlers - this is different - he couldn't take hendrick's down with any regularity, couldn't hold him down when he did, couldn't hurt him with strikes and couldn't keep distance - no game plan will fix that - st pierre has lost a step and at this point in his career hendricks is just better

maybe a little more aggression on hendrick's part to make sure he doesn't get robbed again but other than that he's good to go
This is GSP we're talking about here, he doesn't need to hurt him he just needs to land more strikes. Something I think he is capable of doing with adjustments.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
o'dubhlaoich

Red Belt

Train his cardio to point where he can go 100% for 25 minutes.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
obs085

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT View Post
This is GSP we're talking about here, he doesn't need to hurt him he just needs to land more strikes. Something I think he is capable of doing with adjustments.
Hendricks needs a better corner.

obs085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
ayiio

Black Belt

vCash: 15086
He need to do the same and get lucky that GSP is not messed up this time (screw that 70% BS sore loser excuse )

Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
BlastoiseDad

Brown Belt

Honestly it's still going to be a tough fight for him. He's a great matchup for GSP and doesn't have much to be afraid of on the feet. He needs to not be injured. To decisively win he's probably gotta land a bomb early. Besides that it's always gonna be close.

BlastoiseDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
1strikeclothing

Black Belt

He needs to punch at 100% and he needs thicker wraps.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1strike_mma/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

PM for http://www.virusintl.com/index.html discounts.
1strikeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
ACT

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1strikeclothing View Post
He needs to punch at 100% and he needs thicker wraps.
Think I missed the memo, what's all this % talk and wraps??

Old 11-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
barmyone45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT View Post
Although most people on Sherdog thought Hendricks won the fight, during the rematch both men will have to strive to finish or leave no doubt in the judges minds. In part 1 I talked about what GSP must do to win the rematch. Now it's Hendricks turn.

First and foremost he needs to work on cardio. The round he had the toughest time in was the 5th, if he could increase his work capacity we would see less of him having to pace himself (first half of the 3rd round) and more of the flurries which he is known for.

Grappling:

Clinch- This will be imperative, Hendricks really shined in the clinch with stiff uppercuts and hard knees to the thighs of GSP. He needs to take away the champs movement so that he can land his flurries early on.

Takedowns- After throwing a strike the best time to take GSP down is when he is returning with a counter. He can duck under this for a single leg, if it does not land he's at very little risk of getting sprawled on. This will keep GSP guessing all night.

Trips- I only recall 1 trip that night and it was by Hendricks, if he mixes this in with dangerous striking he could catch GSP off balance and end the night quickly.

Kimuras- Hendricks is so strong it's a waste of his physical talents not to use strength submissions. The one time he tried to reverse GSP it not only gave him an out off the fence, he put GSP in some genuine trouble, he wanted no part in that. Hendricks could use this to great effectiveness in getting off his back, reversing off the fence, and even finishing.

Disengaging along the fence- Most of GSP's output is straight punches. By disengaging to throw short elbows or hooks, then ducking for the legs or forcing the opponent back against the cage Johny can cause some serious, unrequited damage.

Hendricks did an excellent job out wrestling GSP, there isn't much more to add, but there needs to be MORE. You do not want to have to pace against GSP.

Striking:

Elbows- Criminally underutilized by both fighters, there were so many moments on the fence that Hendricks had the space to do this but threw light uppercuts instead. This disadvantage of these are that the fighter has to lift their arm above the opponents shoulder, possibly giving them the underhook. But if you're about to disengage or have an opportunity they are worth it.

Jack Johnson uppercut-
Jack slack talks a lot about this in his breakdowns, check him out. It's perfect for strong wrestlers to create space when needed and land devastating punches. Tim Boetsch starched Yushin Okami with these.

Right hooks- Hendricks is not great at cutting off the cage. GSP's lateral movement saved him from a lot of flurries when he was in trouble. This can stop GSP from circling to the left, leaving him forced to circle into the big left hand.

Stop throwing uppercuts during a chase- These work if the opponents head is DOWN. They are not for chasing someone!

Inside leg kick- Hendricks has powerful hands, he needs to land inside leg kicks when GSP circles to his left to cut off his movement. Right hooks will do too.

Head movement- IMO this is the biggest thing he can improve on. He has no head movement. Even when he lands counters he gets jabbed first and it takes the steam out of his punches. He needs to move his head off-line when he punches.

Hand fighting- Being a south paw this is imperative. Pulling GSP's hand down and throwing the left overhand can close distance, or send him packing.

Hooks to the body- I saw a few uppercuts to the body but not many hooks. He has the power to make it work, this can be a nice follow up to the overhand right>grab the back of the head> uppercut combo. Mixed in these can keep GSP guessing and even out the cardio disadvantage. In a 3 round fight it may not make that much of a difference, but in a 5 rounder it will become apparent later on.

Hendricks did very well in closing the distance, the main problem for him seems to be keeping his man from getting away. In cutting off the cage and punishing the body/legs, he can put himself in a position to use his knockout power effectively.
I agree but also:

1) Enforce VADA testing but back out of it.

2) Do an autologous blood transfusion the night before the fight whilst he's recovering from his weight cut. They were the main weapon of Lance Armstrong during the 2000-2005 Tour De France and they are undetectable by VADA, WADA whoever very effective for improving stamina.

barmyone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
AznTrojan

Red Belt

vCash: 59088
avoid knocking himself out with an uppercut

AznTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
Redhawks100

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayiio View Post
He need to do the same and get lucky that GSP is not messed up this time (screw that 70% BS sore loser excuse )
GSP was messed up? Stop making excuses. It's pathetic.

All he needs to do is implement his grappling more. Mix it up a bit more and he'll easily win a UD over GSP.