Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
Bigj383

Gold Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The RuthlessOne View Post
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but your graph shows a huge decline in finishes.

I actually tend to not even watch many events now, when I used to order every PPV and have friends over for every event. The fights seem significantly more boring for the most part. There are a few exceptions and there have been some of the most exciting fights ever over the past few years, but if I look at the AVERAGE fight now vs even 5 years ago, they seem much more boring. Obviously this is not what MMA needed to continue growing at the rate it was years ago.
That chart doesn't go to present day. The finishing rate has stayed the roughly the same since around 09/10 which was 5 about years ago.
So since 1993 when a finish was required to today where thw finishing rate is around 50% there is a huge drop but over the last 5 years the change has been negligible.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #32
Unbreakabull

Brown Belt

maybe more than 10 years ago because subs are almost completely stopped from the top position so maybe more ground n pound tko's???

Rory & Thatch
Mini Fedor & Real Deal
Mended Conor & The Swanson & a Bäckström fw insurance policy (just in case)
Cruz
MM
Unbreakabull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #33
TheonGreyJoy

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RuthlessOne View Post
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but your graph shows a huge decline in finishes.

I actually tend to not even watch many events now, when I used to order every PPV and have friends over for every event. The fights seem significantly more boring for the most part. There are a few exceptions and there have been some of the most exciting fights ever over the past few years, but if I look at the AVERAGE fight now vs even 5 years ago, they seem much more boring. Obviously this is not what MMA needed to continue growing at the rate it was years ago.
your main issue is with desensitization as is the problem for most.

What was novel and new in early UFC's now has to be ramped up significantly to have the same effect for guys who are just interested in the highlights. Just as in movies an old school Clint Eastwood fist fight has been replaced by Bruce Willis and others doing near super hero stuff to have the same effect.

In the old days the type of grapple fucking that went on and with zero ref stand ups would be booed terribly today where stand up come much more often. And that is because the ground game was new and novel to most and so held more interest.

TheonGreyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #34
moreorless87

Silver Belt

I don't think you can blame Gregg Jackson so much as you can blame Zuffa for not pushing though changes to judging.

The issue is I'd say that the UFC have always been happy to see certain popular (mostly American) fighters "win boring", its only when a less popular fighter does so that we get the negative talk and ultimately that fighter being cut if they do lose. They do this rather than looking to effect any kind of change in the judging standards.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote