Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Ughugh

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
It was a while ago but I remember thinking Skelly could've gotten the nod against Bektic? I'm gonna have to rewatch it to be sure. Anyways, he's a decent enough fighter with a good jab and grappling but neither him or Bektic left me with the impression of "the next big thing". Good records sure, but flatters to deceive and mostly filled with journeymen.

Honestly I think it will be a smooth ride for Niinimäki who's in a class above. He did not represent himself well in his last fight but I think the future will show why and I don't think Skelly has anywhere near the game changing, raw natural skills Bäckström possesses. If this becomes a grind anywhere, whether it's standing or on the ground, Niinimäki will chew him up and I didn't see anything in his fight with Bektic to suggest he's got what it takes to stop Niinimäki. If the line is anywhere near decent I'm dropping a substantial bundle of cash on Tom to win.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
GrAtI

Purple Belt

vCash: 726
tom will win

Old 06-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Melas Chasma

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughugh View Post
Honestly I think it will be a smooth ride for Niinimäki who's in a class above. He did not represent himself well in his last fight but I think the future will show why..
100% this.

Melas Chasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #14
EndlessCritic

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawth View Post
I'm guess I'm a retard, because I have no idea who Skelly is and while I know who Niinimaki is I've never actually seen him fight.
It doesn't make you a retard to not know who they are. The retard is the person who wears his ignorance as a badge of honour.

Saying "who?" contributes nothing to the thread.

EndlessCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
HerpDerp

Purple Belt

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughugh View Post
It was a while ago but I remember thinking Skelly could've gotten the nod against Bektic? I'm gonna have to rewatch it to be sure. Anyways, he's a decent enough fighter with a good jab and grappling but neither him or Bektic left me with the impression of "the next big thing". Good records sure, but flatters to deceive and mostly filled with journeymen.

Honestly I think it will be a smooth ride for Niinimäki who's in a class above. He did not represent himself well in his last fight but I think the future will show why and I don't think Skelly has anywhere near the game changing, raw natural skills Bäckström possesses. If this becomes a grind anywhere, whether it's standing or on the ground, Niinimäki will chew him up and I didn't see anything in his fight with Bektic to suggest he's got what it takes to stop Niinimäki. If the line is anywhere near decent I'm dropping a substantial bundle of cash on Tom to win.
Agreed. Great analysis as usual.

I feel like Skelly definitely has to get unorthodox here to have a chance. Let's face it: at the fundamental level, Niinimäki is easily the more solid fighter. He should get the better of the stand-up exchanges, should be able to take Skelly down at will, and should be able to keep Chas on his back.

However, Skelly is a rangy guy who has a decent amount of length advantage over Tom, and that's probably one of the things that worries me somewhat. Niinimäki has a tendancy of giving up his neck as a means to secure takedowns, as he's super-confident in is guillotine defense. Tom's sticked his head into a guillotine of 5 of his last opponents and hasn't actually been threatened by any of them, but we'll see if Chas can take advantage of it. Altough, we have to remember that both Yahya and Bäckström had fully applied guillotines on Tom and neither got anything out of them in the end, so I can't help but to shrug my head at Chas's chances of pulling one off.

...and you, you chowder-head yokel, you blithering hayseed. You've had enough of me?"
HerpDerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
MestizoIV

Brown Belt

I still believe in Tom

WW: Ellenberger
LW: Grant
FW: KZ
BW: Wineland
FLW: Horiguchi
WBW: Miesha
WSW: Tecia
MestizoIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
mihailovich

Purple Belt

vCash: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by MestizoIV View Post
I still believe in Tom
Me too. I also believe that Bäckström is a future title contender.

mihailovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
HerpDerp

Purple Belt

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihailovich View Post
Me too. I also believe that Bäckström is a future title contender.
Or perhaps even...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

...a future champion!

...and you, you chowder-head yokel, you blithering hayseed. You've had enough of me?"
HerpDerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
MikeFightPromo

White Belt

Keeping my fingers crossed tom pulls a win together. Backstrom was too much for him unfortunately.

MikeFightPromo is offline   Reply With Quote