Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
yookfarb

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
Yeah but I think the best training is to just be in the cage sparring & grappling with guys hour after hour, instead of at the GYM trying to deadlift 600lbs or doing crossfit, the best way to develop fight cardio is to well...fight.
Why not do both? That's pretty much GSP in nutshell back when Pierre Roy was training with him.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Arcturus

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainez View Post
World class sprinters don't just sprint all day long. Resistance training is used to improve performance.
I'm not saying they shouldn't do any of that, just have it as a small % of their training program, and let fighting & sparring be the majority of it.

Arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
yookfarb

Purple Belt

Also, I don't really agree with the OP's premise. The S&C board here is excellent for example.

MMA in general has a really long history of highly developed and trained athletes who developed skills later(Shamrocks for instance), not the other way around like in boxing.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
dmwalking

Green Belt

Quote:
Yeah but I think the best training is to just be in the cage sparring & grappling with guys hour after hour, instead of at the GYM trying to deadlift 600lbs or doing crossfit, the best way to develop fight cardio is to well...fight.
Partly true. Strength and condition only slowly improves using your suggested method though. I speak from experience. Grappling definitely helped my cardio, but my strength peaked quick. And it took me 6 months to go from staircase fatigue to being able to roll for a full hour.

At the highest level of competition, skill and technique don't always win. Athleticism has become a major factor in the modern version of MMA. Just fighting alone is not enough to make the gains you need to compete at the elite level. Sure, you'll get better over time. But you won't get better as quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilrojo145 View Post
Work the live situations. Start from being mounted. Start from your opponent being in back mount with a RNC. Blow the whistle and get used to the pressure and position. Always my favorite.
Most guys do train like this already.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
aModerateThreat
the Hidden Knife of the Ancient Future

train with a mask on?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Lanshire

Silver Belt

Quote:
I don't really get all this hitting tire & kettle-bell new age MMA training, I like the Russian approach to MMA training, get in a rusty cage with some shitty gloves and fight till one of you is sucking up all the earth's wind and spitting out blood.
Uh that hitting tire & kettlebell stuff was done in Russia long before it was done in the US mma scene. You can even find videos of Fedor doing both from years ago.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #17
916SavageTMB

White Belt

Quote:
You must not train. Do us a favor and don't fill anybodies head with crap.

Strength and conditioning as well as cardio are very important. Working on technique and drilling is the most important. Sparring is good, but only after you have drilled and drilled and drilled. "For 2 people that are equally matched in skill and size the stronger and faster one will win the fight". That is a quote from a famous jiu jitsu practitioner. I forgot who though.

916SavageTMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
PraisetheLord
Banned

Sparring and technique is superior to strength and technique. But usually your body gets more beat up in sparring than training in my experience. Guys should continue to train VERY hard just have to consider recovery is part of training.

PraisetheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
TheMadHatter

Black Belt

I have been lucky to avoid any serious injuries for 5+ years of training. However injuries are not rare, one guy blew out his knee while a guy was shooting for a single leg, the stuff just happens. It is hard to train for a fight without being put in real fight situations. I tend to spar 1-2 times per week tops, and work drills for the remainder which has helped me to avoid injury. I also strength train and avoid injuries there by not lifting more than I can.

Member of The Sherdog Wet Shaving Gentlemans Club
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote