Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Muay Thai and Kickboxing

Muay Thai and Kickboxing Fist and Feet Fighting Forum Discussion.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Kingsley Zissou

White Belt

vCash: 500
Kickboxing shows/Fighters

I've been a huge MMA for years and after watching the last Glory event Kickingboxing seems like an exciting sport. Which kickboxers/shows should someone new into the sport like myself watch to get familiar with it?

Summer of 2014: Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, TomorrowWorld
Kingsley Zissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Harukaze

Brown Belt

Watch the K-1 Grand Prix classics from the '90s into the early 2000's. Also K-1 MAX from the early to mid 2000's. Those were the apex of kickboxing.

If you want something more "hardcore" for the "connoisseurs", watch the Muay Thai shows from Lumpinee Stadium, Rajadamnern Stadium, and Channel 7 Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand.

If you want a more gradual transition from MMA, try watching "standing vale tudo" Shootboxing from Japan. It's like Glory, but throws and standing submissions are legal. Plus longer clinch time and elbows are legal if both fighters agree to them.

Welcome to Standup World haha!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
papasmurf999

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukaze View Post
Watch the K-1 Grand Prix classics from the '90s into the early 2000's. Also K-1 MAX from the early to mid 2000's. Those were the apex of kickboxing.

If you want something more "hardcore" for the "connoisseurs", watch the Muay Thai shows from Lumpinee Stadium, Rajadamnern Stadium, and Channel 7 Stadium in Bangkok, Thailand.

If you want a more gradual transition from MMA, try watching "standing vale tudo" Shootboxing from Japan. It's like Glory, but throws and standing submissions are legal. Plus longer clinch time and elbows are legal if both fighters agree to them.

I couldnt of explained it better so I wont try.

papasmurf999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Kingsley Zissou

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukaze View Post

Thank you! It seems like I have a lot of catching up to do haha.

Summer of 2014: Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, TomorrowWorld
Kingsley Zissou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
StupidityKills

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley Zissou View Post

The K-1 world grand prix events were amazing. Nothing like staying up until the early hours of the morning to watch them battle it out. Peter Aerts coming to the ring 3 times in 2010 was unbelievable. There is a bit of suspect judging in World Max though in my opinion. ;)

StupidityKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Harukaze

Brown Belt

Quote:
You're very welcome! Check out K-1's official YouTube channel for all the old Grand Prix shows, and Muay Ties, Live Muay Thai Guy, SMMTV, and Muay Dee T Sport for Muay Thai from Bangkok. World Max and Shootboxing matches are less aggregated, but top matches should be fairly easy to find on YT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidityKills View Post
The K-1 world grand prix events were amazing. Nothing like staying up until the early hours of the morning to watch them battle it out. Peter Aerts coming to the ring 3 times in 2010 was unbelievable. There is a bit of suspect judging in World Max though in my opinion. ;)
K-1 had some pretty shady judging at times haha! Le Banner vs. Bonjasky comes to mind, as do any fights involving the Seidokaikan guys (Satake, ESPECIALLY Musashi, and Fujimoto), Masato, and any Thai guys (in a negative sense for them haha).

Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
shinkiss

Orange Belt

Quote:
I've been a huge MMA for years and after watching the last Glory event Kickingboxing seems like an exciting sport. Which kickboxers/shows should someone new into the sport like myself watch to get familiar with it?
Same here. However, I find the glory site a bit glitchy. None of the videos load for me. They have released the glory 14 super fights. But I can't get the bastard things to play (or display for that matter). Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by shinkiss; 03-27-2014 at 12:26 AM.
shinkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #8
Snubnoze707
มวยไทย

These Kickboxing nerds have you digging too deep. Just keep up with the current glory guys, check out their fights from K-1 and go from there.

You don't need to watch random Japanese guys fighting In shootbox to get your feet wet in the sport...

Snubnoze707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
JustinvR

Brown Belt

vCash: 5887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snubnoze707 View Post
These Kickboxing nerds have you digging too deep. Just keep up with the current glory guys, check out their fights from K-1 and go from there.

You don't need to watch random Japanese guys fighting In shootbox to get your feet wet in the sport...
This was exactly what i was thinking lol.

Just look up the top 10 fighters in the GLORY rankings, you don't even have to know them all. Watch some of the fights on the GLORY website so you get familiar with their styles.

Here is the link to their website: http://www.gloryworldseries.com/en/

You also must know who these (old) fighters are: Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, Andy Hug, Remy Bonjasky, Jerome Le Banner, Ray Sefo, Sem Schilt, Mark Hunt, Mirko Cro Cop etc.(you probably know the last two since you are a MMA fan) since they will be quite some references to those guys.

Also: MT is not everyone's cup of tea, and can be boring(especially the clinching) according to certain fight fans, so just watch some fights on the internet to see if you like it.

Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis 1 Highlight vid (150k views): /watch?v=MhTD2NhrdYY
Simon Marcus vs Joe Schilling III (Glory LMS) Highlight vid: /watch?v=5nAEJKikYzc

Last edited by JustinvR; 03-27-2014 at 09:32 AM.
JustinvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Heikki Mustola

Purple Belt

vCash: 3384
Youtube has good selection of fights and highlights. As for fighters, I could recommend you to watch these

Andy Souwer, Virgil Kalakoda, Mark Hunt, Robin Van Roosmalen, Remy Bonjasky, Buakaw, Drago, Artur Kyshenko, Andy Ristie, Joseph Valtellini, Peter Aerts, Masato, Yuya Yamamoto, Glaube Feitosa etc. Lots of fighers to check really, just putting one of those names to youtube will give you fights, highlights, promo's etc.

Muay Thai could interest you too, there are some events in US too, Lion Fights comes to my mind first. Hell, their next event seems to be tomorrow...