Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #31
Philosofight

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthChen731 View Post
The remaining number of fights on his contract does not factor into the "sense" made by his decision, nor will it have any effect on whether or not he wants to fight again.

So no, I still do not know, and it still doesn't matter.
The remaining number of fights on his contract doesn't factor into the "sense" made by his decision, not will it have any effect on whether or not he wants to fight again. True. But so what? I never said any of that anyway.

I'm just trying to figure out what options he has going forward, and the number of fights left on his contract certainly matters if he wants to continue fighting. What's hard to understand about that? You haven't seen that this kind of thing has mattered for other fighters before? Rampage, Couture, Arlovski, Penn, Alvarez, Askren.

So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter to you. Big deal.

Philosofight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #32
BionicCommando

Red Belt

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofight View Post
Who knows? I'm not even saying that this is his plan, but clearly he has SOME plan. I'm just trying to figure out what his options are.

I mean, to wildly speculate, think about this: I'd be willing to bet that there are certain orgs that would give him serious stock in their companies if he came and fought for them and helped him build their brand. Or, for all we know, he wants to take part in starting an a new Canadian org that would, say, compete with/merge with/ the Bellators and WSOFs of the world. I mean, given his comments, it does seem like he's thinking big picture, as in he wants to do something to combat the UFC's monopoly...

None of those would combat what doesn't exist---since the UFC doesn't have a monopoly. It may be a monopsony though.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #33
warriorscomeout

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aker2703 View Post
i'm not going to read 24 pages....and chance you can tell me what page that info is on?
4, 5 or 6.

No matching clause.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #34
Lanshire

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis0789 View Post
he relinquished his title when he left so without there being some craziness in there on contention the champions claaue would no longer apply to george.
I doubt it works like that. If it did the champion clause would be meaningless because if a champ wanted to fight somewhere else they could just vacate the title. From everything Ive seen about the champion clause it renews the fighters contract.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #35
jase0910

Blue Belt

GSP is 32 years old, looking to take an extended break, and has never given any indication that he is the type of guy who would fight until he's 40 or older. The long and the short of it is that if he EVER fights again, it's going to be in the UFC.

Now, if we want to speculate as to whether he would lend his clout to, or start from the ground up, another MMA organization, that MIGHT be a different story. But I would have to think that his contract also contains some sort of promotional non-compete clause that would prevent him from doing that as well, at least for a considerable period of time. So, again, pretty unlikely.

The only real question, at least to me, is if GSP decides to "go ronin" and fight the PED and monopoly battle from the peripheral areas. It may not be the best analogy, but kind of like when Muhammad Ali couldn't get a license to fight due to his Vietnam draft status, he might try to "take to the streets" and to the airwaves, and maybe meet and work with other groups that share his stance.

To me, that's the real question, is how far is he willing to go with this, even if it means giving up his fighting career for good.

jase0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #36
Lanshire

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyone45 View Post
BJ Penn left the company as WW champion, it took a legal dispute but nevertheless ....
If I remember correctly that mightve been why they started doig the champion clause in the first place.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #37
Agnawedbone

Green Belt

I sincerely doubt GSP has any interest in fighting outside the UFC, despite their minor disagreements in policy.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #38
grimballer

Purple Belt

he could always buy it out?

grimballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #39
BionicCommando

Red Belt

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnawedbone View Post
I sincerely doubt GSP has any interest in fighting outside the UFC, despite their minor disagreements in policy.

Pretty much. If he thought there were other options, he wouldn't of called the UFC a monopoly.