Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #31
Natman2939

Gold Belt

Location: In a small town, in a big country, on a floating oasis somewhere in the universe
vCash: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwarnermma View Post
Pettis would absolutely tool Frankie.
You should never feel so sure about anything in MMA, especially regarding such high level fighters.

Frankie Edgar is a mine who once dominated a 155 BJ Penn. (and fought 5 rounds evenly with him before that). He's also had two razor close fights with Benson Henderson.

I fully expect people to overrate Pettis now due to how dominantly he won his fight with Benson

but let's remember that their previous fight was also a 5 rounder. LW is mostly a division of 5 round wars. And I think if Pettis gets into a situation where he can't finish someone early again, he could definitely find himself in a clay guida situation again.

either way, I expect pettis is going to get knocked down a peg win or lose in his next fight and you might just change your tune

Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #32
theheater

Black Belt

vCash: 3777
bj gets a title shot with a win. only other guy making a strong case right now is mendes

edgar took a couple rounds off aldo and was a true test. if anyone beats edgar theyve earned a shot imo. bj=ppv $$$$ its a no brainer

that said i dont see bj winning. edgar is a nightmare for bj. hes the only lw to make bj look bad and he did it with speed. i dont see how anything has changed even though im cheering for bj. i guess if he gets in good enough shape he can try to grapple with him

-Cosmo Kramer 1997
theheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #33
SmilesNCries**
Banned

vCash: 150
BJ 1st rd KO. I can feel it baby. So when he wins like that, he's definately getting a shot.

SmilesNCries** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #34
UniqueSteez

Purple Belt

vCash: 320
If BJ beats Frankie he will face Aldo then retire.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #35
Ehs

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
There would be so many good matchups for Penn if he was in his good old shape bot at 145 and 155. But nowdays, I just hope he doesnt get steamrolled in his fights.

Ehs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #36
snizzar

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTanner View Post
BJ trained with Nick too and fought him not long after.

I believe BJ pays most of the training partners that he brings in so I don't think he feels like he owes them anything.
BJ and Nick both didn't want to fight each other. Diaz even stated how him and BJ were friends and he didn't like the idea of fighting him. That was a result more because of the early GSP-Diaz saga.

BJ stated in an interview not too long ago stating that he wouldn't wanna fight Aldo because fighting him would mean fighting Andre P., who is his mentor. He even is having him as a coach for TUF. Then again in a fan expo or something some fan asked, "what will you do after you beat Frankie?" and he stated go for the belt. Maybe he thought Aldo was going to move up to LW? You never really know with BJ. As a huge BJ fan, I hope for multiple reasons he doesn't fight Aldo.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #37
FedorandBjpenn

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post
You should never feel so sure about anything in MMA, especially regarding such high level fighters.

Frankie Edgar is a mine who once dominated a 155 BJ Penn. (and fought 5 rounds evenly with him before that). He's also had two razor close fights with Benson Henderson.

I fully expect people to overrate Pettis now due to how dominantly he won his fight with Benson

but let's remember that their previous fight was also a 5 rounder. LW is mostly a division of 5 round wars. And I think if Pettis gets into a situation where he can't finish someone early again, he could definitely find himself in a clay guida situation again.

either way, I expect pettis is going to get knocked down a peg win or lose in his next fight and you might just change your tune

exactly, Edgar could definitely beat ANY fighter in the FW and LW division on any night.

FedorandBjpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
FedorandBjpenn

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs View Post
There would be so many good matchups for Penn if he was in his good old shape bot at 145 and 155. But nowdays, I just hope he doesnt get steamrolled in his fights.

I just cant see him getting steam rolled at 145. Or 155. He might lose but it seems he only gets tooled at 170. Its clear that he is way to small for 170

FedorandBjpenn is offline   Reply With Quote