Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #21
Puss

White Belt

vCash: 500
New awesome interview with Niklas:

Quote:
UFC fighter Niklas Backstrom, 24, is confident before the event in the Globe. Opponent Mike Wilkinson, 26, does not worry him in the slightest.
- He is taken here to lose. It is obvious to everyone who knows anything about MMA, says the Swede.

On October 4 in the Globe, the undefeated Lulea Son makes his second UFC appearance when he faces Briton Mike Wilkinson.
- I will finish him in the first round. I am favorite as sure as I have a black shirt on me right now, says Backstrom.

Where does your confidence come from?
- Well, it is not from Disneyland. I train with some of the best in the world and know what level I am. I'm not trying to be cocky, but I know how good I am, why conceal it?

When you think about your way to the top, what do you picture?
- I will continue to win in the first round until they believe that I can meet the top layer.

The featherweight fighter is aiming to fix yet another juicy victory bonus. He admits that it was overwhelming to win a large sum of money after the last game, but the first thing he did was to pay his girlfriend for rent.
- I was tempted to buy everything possible. But I should take my driving license first instead of sitting on the bus with a Rolex, said Backstrom, and continues:
- I'm not so flashy. This Friday is my birthday and when my family asked me what I wish, I could not think of anything. I have everything I need, he says.

Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
AkuraIchiban

Green Belt

Nick's got this

AkuraIchiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
SimonNova
The Eye

''Every Swedish fighter will crush his opponent from now on because Gus won the first fight and Jones is ducking him now''

-Your average Sherdog 2014 Gus fan

SimonNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
AkuraIchiban

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNova View Post
''Every Swedish fighter will crush his opponent from now on because Gus won the first fight and Jones is ducking him now''

-Your average Sherdog 2014 Gus fan
Nah man. I think people were very impressed first by Tom Niinimäki starching Rani Yahya and then with this late replacement young Swede absolutely demolishing Tom.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #25
MeGustafsson

Orange Belt

Gimme fight. Murder.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
Ughugh

Black Belt

It's a thin line between epic delusion and epic confidence, haha. Some cliffs from different swedish interviews and the press conference at the media day (from memory, not verbatim):

- Thinks 1.17/-588 on Unibet is too high. Betting on him is like "betting on yesterdays football match" (in his mind he considers himself a favorite against any guy). The fight feels like a "kind match-up" and he feels like the UFC have staked out a path for him with the main card slot in his 2nd fight. Thinks it's flattering and is very grateful for it. He's been matched to lose several times too, but the difference is those guys didn't know how good he was.

- Projects a first round finish with 95% certainty but can't guarantee how it'll happen when he enters "beast mode" (air quoted).

- He knows his opponent's name is Mike Wilkingson, who's "a short englishman" with a 8-1 record coming off a loss.

- The difference between this and his last fight is Tom Niininmäki has been the euro no.1 for a long time and a big profile on the euro mma scene, so he felt it was a tougher fight and in no small part because he took it on super short notice and couldn't train properly cause he got a tooth infection.

- Doesn't think being the favorite will affect him. Recognizes that training seriously and focusing a 100% is what makes him good.

- Says he wouldn't mind fighting Akira Corassani (who seems like a nice guy from what he's heard) or "anyone the UFC puts in front of him", but the only guys he's calling out are Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor (to "steal his hype"). Wants a top 10 and knows he's good enough to beat anyone of them. Says he knows his caliber (note: has trained with Chandler, Cruz, Pearson, Myles Jury, Mike Easton, Reza Maddadi, Jeremy Stephens et al) and knows there's not many guys in the world that's as good as him and "eh yeah, that's just the way it is".

- Recalls how he broke his hand when he was scheduled to fight Conor. Would love to fight him and thinks it would get massive hype since they're both talkers. Especially Conor. Niklas is a little bit nicer and not so overbearing. But that's not why he called him out, he just thinks it would be a fun fight and he knows he's better than him. It would be fun to snatch his hype.

- Training at Allstars has been a major push. If he needs sparring or a training partner gets sick etc they can fly in people from around the world and he doesn't have to worry about that stuff anymore. They have a good rotation of domestic and international guys so he can test himself daily and see where his level is.

- On the explosion of mma in Sweden, he says he used to have to explain what "ultimate fighter?" was and would usually say he wrestled and boxed; but today he gets recognized at the subway and stuff.

- First time he met Gunnar Nelson. Seems like a "damn nice guy" and thinks he'll win his fight.

- He's a super fan of mma and likes KZ's fighting style, but wishes Akira the best of luck.

- Describes himself as a fighter: "Fairly technical, hard worker, keeps coming forward, high pressure, high tempo, attacking, and... not so nice".

- Describes himself as a person: "As a person I'm nice, hopefully that's what people think... otherwise it would it sad".

- He doesn't get nervous and gets bored when he doesn't feel any pressure. Tries to put more pressure on himself by talking.

- When he won the bonus he thought about buying a Rolex but when the money finally arrived he'd calmed down and realized he couldn't be taking the bus with a Rolex. Gave away the PS4 he bought to his brother so he could "go hardcore" during camp.

As an Sherdog discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Jon Jones approaches 1
Ughugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
Ughugh

Black Belt

http://www.kimura.se/niklas-backstro...ickson-gracie/

Translation of the interesting bits:

- You're coming off wins and you're facing a guy who's not in the top 20 while you're in the top 20 and come from a win where you defeated a guy in the top 20... How do you feel about that? Do you feel it's a step down?

- Ehh... yeah well it's obvious. Look at the rankings... or look at his fights... I'm better than him, there's nothing to discuss. He's a brawler... like I don't want to say anything negative about him but it's obvious I'm better and that I'm considered better and everything like that. I heard he's been saying some stuff that's gonna be released on... what you call it... UFC media so... But I don't think I'm disrespectful I'm just stating facts and tell it like it is. He's not as good as me.

- What did he say?

- Meeeh he said like, that he would "knock my head off", kid stuff, so... like... I'm just, you'll need a sword for that and a catapult to get my head up to the stands or whatever he said. And like... I'm just talking facts so he can keep on living in Disneyland where you can punch people's heads off so they fly 200 meters. Buut... it's like... yeah... pretty normal.....

- How do you see the fight going?

- No but I think my level is considerably higher than his. Aaannd... I just have to prove that. It feels like if he comes to fight it's a pretty good chance it's a first round stoppage. Sooo... that's what I think....

- Where do you see his weaknesses?

- Ehhh.... yeah well everywhere. Eh... I don't think he's as good as me standing. Ehh... I saw somewhere that he called himself a grappler. If he's a grappler I'm Rickson Gracie. It's like a another level on top of another level in difference. Sooo... no but I just think he's not on the same level as me. He's an entertaining fighter because he's like a brawler and stuff... and not so good... and that was like entertaining in UFC 1 too because there was two guys who really couldn't fight... but now it's a bit of a mismatch so... yeah... I hope he doesn't hurt himself too bad.

https://www.facebook.com/niklasmma/p...type=1&theater

As an Sherdog discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Jon Jones approaches 1
Ughugh is offline   Reply With Quote