Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #41
Magnum1978

Red Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3yo View Post
When somebody can come up with a legit way to measure damage, we'll start scoring it.

and I'm quite sick of all the fantasy scenarios people come up with to make a point. Use a real example from the 1000's of possible rounds and we can talk about it.
They score on control, maybe they should come up with a legit way to measure it?

I'll go home, look through my fight collection and get back to you if you truly want. There are plenty of examples I can give you if you really want to listen and have me put in the effort.

As for damage, it should be termed 'effective damage' and that would be damage that can be seen to have an EFFECT on the opponent. Superficial cuts and scrapes, bruises would not count. Damage that has an effect would be things like - demonstrating signs of being rocked, noticeable wobble or retreat/protectiveness after being hit, signs of pain, wincing, buckling over, limping, hyperextension of limbs, slowdown in pace, swollen eye(s) limiting vision, etc. Pretty common sense stuff.

That would be my definition of damage in the context of an MMA fight. Feel free to critique it.

Hiding behind 'please define damage' is not a good enough reason to ignore the issues with the criteria, since judges regularly judge in terms of 'intangibles' where expertise of the judge is used, right up to the olympic games. Damage was a term used in other scoring systems, such as Pride and OneFC without great issue.

*Knees to the head of grounded fighters
*Kicks to the head if both fighters are grounded
*Re-evaluate US MMA scoring
Magnum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:41 AM   #42
spid3yo

vCash: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum1978 View Post
They score on control, maybe they should come up with a legit way to measure it?

I'll go home, look through my fight collection and get back to you if you truly want. There are plenty of examples I can give you if you really want to listen and have me put in the effort.

As for damage, it should be termed 'effective damage' and that would be damage that can be seen to have an EFFECT on the opponent. Superficial cuts and scrapes, bruises would not count. Damage that has an effect would be things like - demonstrating signs of being rocked, noticeable wobble or retreat/protectiveness after being hit, signs of pain, wincing, buckling over, limping, hyperextension of limbs, slowdown in pace, swollen eye(s) limiting vision, etc. Pretty common sense stuff.

That would be my definition of damage in the context of an MMA fight. Feel free to critique it.

Hiding behind 'please define damage' is not a good enough reason to ignore the issues with the criteria, since judges regularly judge in terms of 'intangibles' where expertise of the judge is used, right up to the olympic games. Damage was a term used in other scoring systems, such as Pride and OneFC without great issue.
Octagon control is easy to deduce and only plays a minor roll......and so is effective grappling (so I have no clue what "control" you are talking about that you can't figure out)

By your logic, Diego Sanchez has never actually lost a fight because he never visibly shows signs of what you refer to as "damage".... Honestly I don't care how you try to score it, it's a terrible plan and I'll never agree with it but I respect you have an opinion about it and were able to talk it out.

As for examples....that's up to you. I just think if people want to throw out scenarios about what they are talking about, they should use actual fights instead of trying to make shit up is all.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 AM   #43
HIMBOB

Gold Belt

vCash: 1513
First 10 seconds and final 30 seconds get weighed more.

But if its a choice between starting strongly and finishing strongly, ALWAYS FINISH STRONGLY.

Never forget the freedom fry!!!
HIMBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 AM   #44
TheHermit

Orange Belt

the $$$bets$$$ they get bigger cuts from

Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #45
Zeta Reticuli

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degen Gambler View Post
depends who they bet on
Straight cash, homey

Zeta Reticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:31 AM   #46
morohbj

Orange Belt

The coin toss they do at the end of each round to determine who they give it to.

morohbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #47
Magnum1978

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid3yo View Post
Octagon control is easy to deduce and only plays a minor roll......and so is effective grappling (so I have no clue what "control" you are talking about that you can't figure out)

By your logic, Diego Sanchez has never actually lost a fight because he never visibly shows signs of what you refer to as "damage".... Honestly I don't care how you try to score it, it's a terrible plan and I'll never agree with it but I respect you have an opinion about it and were able to talk it out.

As for examples....that's up to you. I just think if people want to throw out scenarios about what they are talking about, they should use actual fights instead of trying to make shit up is all.
Diego certainly has shown that he is damaged, as I said swollen eyes impairing vision, labored movement, wincing in pain, etc - he has certainly taken more what I'd term 'effective damage' than he's given in some of the fight's that he's still 'won'...

(again I can find you examples if you really want, I agree the burden of proof is on me, just cbf right now, and I'm at work )

But either way, thanks for the discussion - happy to agree to disagree here.

*Knees to the head of grounded fighters
*Kicks to the head if both fighters are grounded
*Re-evaluate US MMA scoring
Magnum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote