Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #21
Face Punch

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Lawler wouldn't be able to stop the TD and would likely be out struck.

Lombard wouldn't be able to hit him/Would be susceptible to the jab and GSP's footwork is good enough to stay out of range.

Woodley would probably have the most success, but if GSP could keep safe for the first 3 rds Woodley would be in trouble.

Face Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #22
justblaze717

Red Belt

I think he takes Lawler down at ease. Lombard and Woodley matchup better imo.

@justbliggity
justblaze717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #23
Truebeliever

Brown Belt

Stylistically I think Lawler is an easier match for GSP.

I don't see Lawler doing the same kind of damage to George that he did to Hendricks. George has a better ability to work the jab and stick and move & is better at timing take-downs than Hendricks.

Hendricks literally stood in the pocket with Lawler, which was certainly effective but he took more damage as a result.

Truebeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #24
theheater

Red Belt

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by servel20 View Post
This, GSP's double leg hasn't looked nearly as powerful as it did prior to blowing his ACL.

His conditioning has also suffered some as before he could go 5 rounds looking 100% and now after a couple of rounds he looks diminished.

Count how badly messed up he was in the head and the many issues he did not disclose (only sleeping a few hours a night), the insomnia alone fucks people up bad, I know first hand.

Hopefully if GSP decides to come back he fixes those issues so he can be 100% again. His knee will never be the same, but with time he will learn to trust it again.

It took me nearly two years to feel comfortable kicking with the leg I tore my ACL from.
yeah it seemed obvious to me that gsp never fully recovered in the condit fight. its like he lost a gear. i remember at certain points of the fight thinking it looked like gsp was trying to step it up and make a statement but his body just wouldnt co operate

imo gsps injuries combined with aging has knocked his athleticism down a notch. athleticism is a massive part of gsp's game

i think both lawler and woodly would be extremely tough fights for him. imo it comes down to cardio. if lawler or woodly had the cardio to go at least 3 high paced rounds (vs gsp riddum) then hey would have a great chance of hurting him. especially lawler. lawler was stuffing hendricks and shut down kos TD's. give lawler some time on the feet vs gsp and theres a good chance he hurts him.

do i favor gsp? yeah but i think those two guys would be a very tough test unlike diaz, condit, kos, fitch, alves, etc. i think woodly and hendricks will keep improving and if gsp takes another year off he will be declining. imo gsp needs to come back by the end of this year if he wants any chance of regaining the title

-Cosmo Kramer 1997
theheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
theheater

Red Belt

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truebeliever View Post
Stylistically I think Lawler is an easier match for GSP.

I don't see Lawler doing the same kind of damage to George that he did to Hendricks. George has a better ability to work the jab and stick and move & is better at timing take-downs than Hendricks.

Hendricks literally stood in the pocket with Lawler, which was certainly effective but he took more damage as a result.
rory has an extremely effective jab and longer reach than gsp. lawler tagged him. gsp is obviously a different fighter but lawler can handle a good jab, thats for sure

-Cosmo Kramer 1997
theheater is offline   Reply With Quote