Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #31
Level One

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamrock View Post
What if Barnett loses to Bigfoot? We can't just assume JDS beats him and Bigfoot loses. Trying to set up favorable matchups to try and force the outcomes you want can easily backfire.
Even if he did lose, Barnett vs Bigfoot is a much better and much more interesting fight than Bigfoot vs Arlovsko 2.

Level One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #32
JamezJitsu

Yellow Belt

Jds should fight Browne because he beats all these guys so lets make the most competitive and interesting fight between all of them and im sure the UFC want to give Miocic a title fight so I think they want to steer from that direction even though they previously booked the fight between both guys.

JamezJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #33
bubkusjones

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Burek View Post
They said the same thing for Chael Sonnen. He'd still be fighting without TRT had he not injected like 4 different drugs.
He'd still be allowed to fight, but would he be able to without TRT or what he was taking to come off it? I think that was the question.

Never judge a book by its shoddy movie release.
bubkusjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #34
LampShade94

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level One View Post
Cigano vs Stipe makes the most sense, the UFC's terrible and inept matchmaking has Barnett in a pickle, there's no reason why he shouldn't be fighting Bigfoot. That fight makes 100 times more sense than Bigfoot/AA.
Cigano vs Stipe makes no sense at all. The HW division is in dire need of contenders. JDS will never be a contender again while Velasquez still has the belt. JDS beating Stipe (a soon-to-be contender) would be a massive hit to the division.

The same goes with Barnett vs Bigfoot. Bigfoot has already lost to Cain twice. He's in the exact same situation as JDS and won't get another title shot while Cain has the belt (which will probably be a while).

That leaves the following potential contenders: Stipe, Barnett, Browne and Overeem.

These fighters NEED to win fights in the division. The UFC needs to preserve their relevancy at all costs because we are all sick of seeing Bigfoot vs Cain and JDS vs Cain.

The Cain Werdum fight isnt happening until November, so giving them easy fights for now isn't a bad idea. Stipe will probably get the next title shot. And then as long as Reem, Browne, and Barnett don't lose their next fights they can match two of them up where winner will get the next title shot after Stipe.

LampShade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #35
Genghis84

Blue Belt

I'm curious why they're not doing Barnett/Arlovski and JDS/Bigfoot. It seems like much better match ups than the other options.

Genghis84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #36
NeverAgainPlaya

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FascistDictator View Post
i love JDS vs Stipe, yes. but since we're already 2 fights deep into really fucking up the HW division's momentum its already too late now. the Stipe/JDS matchup will have to go on hold because Barnett is clearly at the tail end of his fighting career right now. better put him up with the good fights now while you still got him.

Stipe vs Hapa is honestly about as good of a hw fight as it gets right now. the champ is already booked to a top contender so we're not left with very much since two top 10 guys (Overeem and Bigfoot) are shackled to completely bullshit meaningless gimme fights ATM.
Saying it right now: Nothing 'gimme' about Reem's fight with Rothwell. Ben's got the one thing that always gives Alistair problems: Heart. If Ben survives round one, this could get hairy for Overeem, though I view him as the favorite.

To be honest, I don't want to see JDS/Miocic right now. Stipe is riding a wave, and I see JDS ending that wave, which means we're left with one less viable contender.

I hate the position the UFC put JDS in. He's the (prime) Rich Franklin of HW. He's not likely to beat Cain again, but he's probably still good enough to topple every other guy in the top 10.

Stipe/Browne is the way to go for sure. JDS may as well pick up a handful of wins in the meantime without knocking true contenders off. Let him rediscover his confidence and find that proper momentum again. The Barnett fight sounds perfect for that, as Josh isn't going to challenge for that title anytime soon.

If Stipe beats Browne (which I think he does 9/10 times), he could make for an interesting future challenger to Cain's title after Werdum (so, late 2015, assuming Cain gets injured after the fight, which seems to be the trend).

If Stipe fights Browne and wins, and Overeem gets past Big Ben - set those two up for a fight in early 2015 - if Stipe gets the nod there, that would put him in a solid position to fight Velasquez by late 2015... though I'd like to see Stipe take 3 fights between now and the wrap of next year.

I fully expect Cain to get injured somehow in the Werdum fight. I just hope Stipe can keep the streak alive for the next year and a half. We DESPERATELY need an intriguing challenger for that title.

Just some random thoughts which were probably incoherent. I've been drinking. Sorry.

NeverAgainPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote