Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #41
peytonlucy

Red Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin U. View Post
McMann really, REALLY needs to acquire some viciousness from her top game.
I was fairly close to the Octagon (tm) last night. When Sara landed strikes from the top position you couldn't hear it. There were cornermen slapping fighters on the back to congratulate them on a victory that exerted more force than Sara did. I thought Sara won and was surprised that it was a split decision but she was in there with a 135 pound woman with forearms the size of a popsicle. Sara has nothing for ronda. I wish she did.

peytonlucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #42
BigMuffler

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAbove View Post
Why are people dogging on McMann so much? Murphy was criminally underrated (said so coming into the fight). Yeah, it's very hard to stop an olympic wrestler from taking you down. But Murphy was active, patient, and when she had a chance to land strikes she did. McMann had a hard time passing to get in position for damage.

Sure, not an amazing showing for McMann, but people who dropped her stock majorly after this fight don't understand how good/difficult Murphy is as an opponent.
I didn't drop her stock majorly, I always said she was slightly overrated and not clearly above other Ronda opponents like Tate/Davis/Kaufman, we just now have more evidence for this.

Personally I rate Miesha as top 5 and think she might still be the 2nd best overall grappler in the division after Rousey. In fact, HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING is strong.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #43
TheCryingElite

Green Belt

I'm a big fan of McMann and so of course I have bias, and believe she did win her fight last night...albeit narrowly. But I would agree with Florian's assessment midway through the fight. In that she needs to be better at transitioning. Like he said, she seems to go from striking mode, to wrestling mode. I actually think her striking is pretty tight and technical, but I don't think she fully commits to it...because obviously she's thinking about taking her opponent down. And where the transitioning is concerned when she is on the ground, she doesn't look to posture up or pass as much as she should. When she did posture up and land elbows and punches, they looked good and effective....she just didn't do it enough.

I will say Murphy was active enough off her back, that it nullified some of that. As far as the question at hand, I feel McMann would and could beat Tate, pretty comfortably. I feel Tate doesn't have the best fight IQ and would certainly look to clinch(much like she kept attempting with Rousey) when she shouldn't and just keep getting thrown. I think Tate wouldn't nearly be as active on her back, allowing McMann to be more active in her own right. Plus I think Tate's stand up is a tad too sloppy to exchange and win on the feet. Just one man's opinion.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #44
Futureal

Brown Belt

vCash: 150
McMann's superior wrestling pedigree would rightly see her as the favourite, but I wouldn't be surprised if Miesha subbed her. I'd say the fight would go one of two ways - dominant McMann decision or Miesha sub. I do think a challenge like McMann would bring out the absolute best in Cupcake. As quite a lonely Miesha fan (in terms of her fighting ability), it's nice to see her getting more credit recently Yes, she's a high school wrestler with average athleticism but is a tough fight for anyone. War Miesha!

Futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #45
BROKENSPROKET
Nightmare on Main Street

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis84 View Post
Tate loses to the top 5 bantamweights... Rousey, Zingano, McMann, Kaufman, and Davis. And possibly even some outside it (Eye, Murphy, Holm).
Tate would beat Holm. Tate is my favorite female fighter to hate, but she could get Holm down and grind her down.

BROKENSPROKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #46
DrunkinBlindnes

Blue Belt

vCash: 0
I think it could go either way. Pick one or the other, it would be a toss up.

DrunkinBlindnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #47
TheCryingElite

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
Tate would beat Holm. Tate is my favorite female fighter to hate, but she could get Holm down and grind her down.
I severely disagree with that. Tate is susceptible to head kicks. And that's Holm's bread and butter.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #48
lockon

Black Belt

tough call, but i think tate would pull it off

WW: Hendricks, Condit
LW: Diaz, Maynard, Pettis
FW: Edgar, Aldo
BW: Barao
lockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #49
BROKENSPROKET
Nightmare on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCryingElite View Post
I severely disagree with that. Tate is susceptible to head kicks. And that's Holm's bread and butter.
I could see Holm knocking Tate out more spectacular than Young did, but if not, and Tate gets her down.....That's what I am saying.

BROKENSPROKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #50
Torrid
Rubber Belt

I think Meisha could triangle her