Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
yeahhh

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Nick Diaz's Clinchwork/Inside boxing

Something I've noticed that has been somewhat missing in the GSP and Condit fights is Nick utilizing his dirty boxing and clinchwork against the fence to set up his inside boxing game...something I felt was a huge factor in Nick's success in his prior fights (along with body shots). In the GSP fight there were a few flashes of this when they would clinch, and Nick actually had a little success (or at least seemed more comfortable), and it ended up with GSP wanting to stay on the outside and jab and create distance. I'm not saying he would have won against GSP, or Condit for that matter, but it seems that the combination of Nick's cardio and clinch could have played a factor during these fights. IMO it would make his already good MMA boxing much more effective.

nick kneeing the shit out of the Zaromskis's leg (0:58)

using the clinch to get Daley against the fence, then throwing brutal hooks to the body (01:47)

utilizing superior cardio to gas out Cyborg (3:07)

and Smith (3:11)

and Riggs (2:48)

I can't find any vids of the Penn or Neer fights, but he uses the clinch a lot in those fights from what i remember

Also, off topic, but EVERY single opponent Carlos has fought in the UFC are top 20 opponents, with Hardy and DHK being the only ones not in the top 10 (brutally KO'd)

yeahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Blindead

Brown Belt

Your fact about Condit is kind of inaccurate. Hardy is the ONLY top 10 guy he beat before Diaz. Ellenberger was making his debut and Rory was in his 2nd fight I believe. They're top 10 now, but at the time they weren't even close. Kampmann was unranked when Condit fought him too.

FW: Siver, Poirier
LW: Henderson
WW: I dunno lol
MW: Weidman, Mousasi
LHW: Hendo & Chael
HW: Overeem, Hunto
Blindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
yeahhh

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindead View Post
Your fact about Condit is kind of inaccurate. Hardy is the ONLY top 10 guy he beat before Diaz. Ellenberger was making his debut and Rory was in his 2nd fight I believe. They're top 10 now, but at the time they weren't even close. Kampmann was unranked when Condit fought him too.
yeah i just meant right as of now they are all ranked top 10 except DHK and Hardy, who as you mentioned was in the top 10 when they fought. DHK i believe skillwise should be in the top 10

yeahhh is offline   Reply With Quote