Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
Mr Wings

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
I guarantee you that wasn't the first usage. You gotta remember we had Pancrase, Shooto and Vale Tudo etc. way before the UFC.

Hell Bruce Lee gets credit for American MMA even though there were plenty of people in America before Bruce Lee teaching and trying to spread mixed martial arts. I think the guy's name was Bruce Taygan and in 1950 he was trying to spread it in the United States.
I hear ya. All good points. The question I was looking to answer was when the term was first used during a UFC broadcast. I was surprised when I heard Bruce Beck use it as early as UFC 12, then I wondered if anyone had said it in an even earlier ppv. Watching 11.5 Ultimate Ultimate now to listen for it.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
Mr Wings

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinniku View Post
Wasnt Jeff Blatnick the one that coined the term MMA?
It used to be said that Blatnick coined the term, but now Wikipedia sites a Los Angeles Times critic as possibly coining the term; he uses it in an article dating November 15, 1993, reviewing UFC 1.

If you think about it, the very first UFC WAS inherently mma, as it stressed a competition that contained a mix of many different martial arts.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
Unbreakabull

Brown Belt

the first guy to point out it wasnt style vs style but how you needed a mix of a few martial arts to be successful was chris penn, talking about don frye wrestling/boxing background, that was an early ufc, before 12 i think

Matt Cheetah
Rory & Thatch
Mini Fedor & Real Deal
The Hated one (Conor) & The Swanson & Bäckström
Cruz
The Mouse
Unbreakabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
Unbreakabull

Brown Belt

Matt Cheetah
Rory & Thatch
Mini Fedor & Real Deal
The Hated one (Conor) & The Swanson & Bäckström
Cruz
The Mouse
Unbreakabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
Mr Wings

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor View Post
Hmm...can't recall for sure but I remember Blatnick calling it "reality combat" over and over again in the early days and thinking man, what a corny name for it.
For sure Bruce Beck called it "reality combat" (UFC 3), but before that it was called "anything goes" (UFC 1), and "no holds barred" (UFC 1), etc. They were experimenting trying to find a term for this thing that was new to a lot of Americans.

"Reality combat" is cheesy, but back then Don The Dragon Wilson said people asked him all the time whether the UFC was "real." People could barely grasp that this wasn't pro wrestling. So, in that way, "reality combat" was a useful term at the time.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #16
Lito Lapida

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_MMAson View Post
Origin of 'MMA'[edit]
The term Mixed Martial Arts was coined by television critic Howard Rosenberg, in 1993, in his review of UFC 1.[4] The term gained popularity when the website newfullcontact.com, then one of the biggest covering the sport, hosted and reprinted the article. The first use of the term by a promotion was in September of 1995 by Rick Blume, president and CEO of Battlecade Extreme Fighting, just after UFC 7. [25] Jeff Blatnick was responsible for the Ultimate Fighting Championship officially adopting the name Mixed Martial Arts. Previously marketed as "Ultimate Fighting" and "No Holds Barred (NHB)", Blatnick and John McCarthy proposed the name 'MMA' at the UFC 17 rules meeting in response to increased public criticism.[26] The term is generally attributed to Howard Rosenberg.[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_m...n_of_.27MMA.27
thanks god for wikipedia

Lito Lapida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #17
europe1
It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Rich "G-man" Goins made it legendary.
Agree. In completely unrelated news, Royce Gracie is a Black Master of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

—I WITNESSED "Throwdown at the Crowne!"

—All threads about Dagestanians will eventually disintegrate into arguments over whether they are Russian or not.
europe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
Mr Wings

Yellow Belt

Beautiful! "The only mixed-matched martial arts competition in the United States."

Just think, if this had stuck, we would be calling it MMMA.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #19
Mr Wings

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
The UFC should bring back Bruce Beck to replace Mike Goldberg. Bruce Beck and Jeff Blatnick made an awesome team. Rich "G-man" Goins made it legendary.
Hell yes.

Bruce Beck on Shamrock: "STUDENT! TEACHER! TACTICIAN! MASTER OF SUBMISSION WITH THE POWER OF A LION!"

Beck on the Ultimate '96: "The Ultimate Ultimate! 100 percent pure adrenaline, 1000 percent pure guts!"

Beck on Kimo: "A MISSIONARY MAN ON A BARE-KNUCKLE MISSION."

I loved how Goins would quickly yammer "let's rock 'n roll" when exiting the Octagon.

Bill Wallace in UFC 1 was also epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzynOCnAVqU