Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #91
Dontevenguess93
Banned

vCash: 500
I don't see why make an age requirement.

My barber is Mexican and a big UFC fan. His nephew is maybe 4 and watches all the fights. He says he's gonna be a fighter one day, I believe him.

Dontevenguess93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #92
Overnoww

Brown Belt

I started really watching regularly in my mid-teens. I personally don't like the idea of kids watching it because they are so impressionable but it is really up to the parents. I just hope that the parents are good at teaching their children not to mimic what the fighters are doing. It probably helps if the child is also involved in some martial art like Karate, where (at least in good schools) they really instill that you are not to use what you learn in the dojo unless absolutely necessary.

Overnoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #93
ShoopNazi

White Belt

30 would be a good time.

ShoopNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #94
bob_dawg

Brown Belt

they give the parental advisory warning up front ,let the ankle biter know its not appropriate behavior to mug other kids or to bully .....parenting at its finest ,dont be trailer park and share a six pack n smokes with the lil focker and yell obscenities at the tv ...

bob_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #95
aus101

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senzo Tanaka View Post
Probably 12ish but I guess it really depends on the kid. If my kid was into martial arts and knew discipline, etc I might let them start earlier.

One thing is for sure is that kids imitate what they see. I certainly imitated pro-wrestling as a kid and many a kid was on the receiving end of Macho Man elbow drops, Roddy Piper sleepers and so on.

You don't want kids throwing spinning shit and H-Bombs until they know right from wrong or for defensive purposes only.
To be fair little kids don't have the strength to hurt each other usually. As a before and after care worker I saw little kids gang attack other each other and remember a few fights I had as a fourth grader too. We traded numerous head shots, clotheslines (lol WWF), GNP and up kicks and despite me being much smaller (and losing the fight) at the end we didn't have a scratch on us and went straight back to being friends.

aus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #96
Ricki

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuJu707 View Post
I started watching boxing when I was six, MMA when I was 9. My parents didn't mind. They liked it a lot more than Ed, Edd n' Eddie.
Damn an Ed Edd n' Eddie reference, that's deep. That show killed more of my brain cells as a kid than sparring has over the past three years.

And to answer the question, if the kid's willing to take a body shot to watch a card, he's ready. I'd eat a hook to avoid paying for a ppv. Maybe start him with some submissions/decisions to ease him in.

Ricki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #97
adamsilva

My earliest memory is my dad waking me up to watch a Ken Shamrock fight. I was probably 4-5 at the time and I don't feel it has caused any psychological damage besides being obsessed with MMA.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #98
adamsilva

It really depends on the child in this case and how impressionable they are and how secure their attachment to the parent is.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #99
PolskiGhost

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennysGrandSlam View Post
My nephew watches "da fights" (always followed by a grunt/growl and a boxing stance).

He was a rough houser beforehand anyways. 5 years old now, he likes Ronda ("she's maaaad about it" when she walks out according to him) and the Chinese guy (yushin okami)
haha lol at "the chinese guy"

....but seriously, it should be playing in the delivery room

@SubmissionAUS
https://www.youtube.com/user/submissionradioau
Stitcher, iTunes, Tune In Radio
PolskiGhost is offline   Reply With Quote