Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #71
sandbag666

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Will root for Werdum but he is going to get beat up against the cage and out paced.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #72
thetruth2709

Black Belt

I like Werdum but Cain is just too much for him, he is at his peak now nobody will beat him for a couple years

thetruth2709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #73
djacobox372

Silver Belt

The size difference and the fact that Werdum's striking favors the clinch makes him a tough matchup for Cain.

Taking werdum would be risky, Cain's better off keeping his distance and trying to win a standup fight.

djacobox372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #74
mkess101

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
The size difference and the fact that Werdum's striking favors the clinch makes him a tough matchup for Cain.

Taking werdum would be risky, Cain's better off keeping his distance and trying to win a standup fight.
Cain is smaller, but still the physically stronger guy. Werdum doesn't mind striking in the clinch, true, but Cain will probably have him pushed against the cage and that's not the kind of clinch fighting ANYONE wants to do vs. Cain. Then, factor in that there just isn't anybody at HW who can keep up with Cain's pace and it makes it an even steeper challenge to even survive in there with him.

I think Cain's strategy is going to be to keep the fight standing, but dirty box and tire Werdum out. I could see Cain taking him down later in the fight once Werdum is exhausted and both guys are sweaty, where a sub will be more difficult to secure.

Does Werdum have probably as good a chance as any HW? Sure. Is it a very good chance? Nope.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:56 AM   #75
That209

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
I think Cain will hold him against the fence and dirty box. Werdum's new jab is freaking awesome! You guys remember the double jab + straight right that he landed on Browne? You don't see that shit very often in MMA.
C'mon, just 'cause Cain mashed Junior against the fence doesn't mean he's always going to do it.

And a double jab-cross is used quite often, Diaz bros do it, GSP does it, Hominick did it pretty often, IIRC, Holloway also does it. Usually the technical strikers will do things like this, actually set things up with the jab. Dillashaw has probably done it as well, but I can't remember, he's all over the place with that footwork and awesome head movement.

I guess Werdum really saw some holes in Browne's defense, he really beat the guy up all night. You usually see pro boxers utilize things like a double jab-cross, but some fighters do it in MMA, sadly, most of them will just throw a right hand, a single jab-low kick, etc. Still, they're very effective at the highest level, but to see a guy pick someone apart with ease like GSP, or see someone just absolutely destroy their opponent like the Diaz's every once in a while with a much higher level of boxing, it's nice than the standard spammed overhand.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #76
moreorless87

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post

Which makes it interesting for me as we've seen much less of that side of Cain's game.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #77
berimBOWLoh

Brown Belt

Im not saying Cain will win

but Cain will win.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 AM   #78
FedorandBjpenn
Banned

vCash: 250
Im not even a big Cain fan but I honestly can only see him losing by Knockout.....
and now with his improved bob,weaving and movement its gonna take another
JDS type ko to beat him... I see Cain putting a beating on Fabricio and showing why
he is the best HW in the world.

FedorandBjpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #79
JKS

Titanium Belt

I think this fight will be closet then people expect

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #80
moreorless87

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS View Post
I think this fight will be closet then people expect
It'll certainly be an interesting fight as Cain's most likely path to winning(keeping his distance and outboxing/powering Werdum) involves fighting in a way we haven't seen from him before.

Cage clinching might be somewhat effective I spose but its generally most effective vs people who are just looking to escape not those happy to be taken down or work the clinch themselves.

People often forget theres a big difference been being a good offencive wrestler and avoiding the ground all together, I'm sure many would have said Maia would never take Sonnen down but losing the threat of your own takedown makes a massive difference and makes footwork and linked standup much more important.

moreorless87 is offline   Reply With Quote