Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #101
callofdutyNBA

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
i dont mind it, its pretty bad sometimes but most of the time i dont mind it.

callofdutyNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #102
BruceLeeOnTRT

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusterX View Post
Depends on what you mean by lay and pray, if the guy on top or bottom, whichever, is working for better position, subs, escapes, strikes etc. then that isn't lay and pray. That's called grappling and its part of MMA.
This. A lot of fighters get called LNPers even tho they pass guard and put in good GNP. Carmont is a great example of an active ground fighter.

Lnp fighters are content to chill in guard and stall, knowing they'll win the round.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #103
muaythaibeast

Purple Belt

The problem is in the judging. If the guy on top passes guard and gets to mount/side control then that to me is not lay and pray, but settling in someones guard and doing nothing is not winning a fight, and should be scored as such. Guard is a neutral position, and should be scored that way. Good grappling can be at least as entertaining as striking (joe lauzon, werdum and jacare style) but what shields and askren do is not grappling, its stalling

muaythaibeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #104
sportkillergreg

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythaibeast View Post
The problem is in the judging. If the guy on top passes guard and gets to mount/side control then that to me is not lay and pray, but settling in someones guard and doing nothing is not winning a fight, and should be scored as such. Guard is a neutral position, and should be scored that way. Good grappling can be at least as entertaining as striking (joe lauzon, werdum and jacare style) but what shields and askren do is not grappling, its stalling
guard may be considered a neutral position in jiu jitsu but no way is guard a neutral position in MMA.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #105
IngaVovchanchyn

Brown Belt

vCash: 1839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun'n'Run View Post
Holding back control is a much bigger problem at this point.
I cannot imagine any fix for that. It is such a dominant position that one cannot reasonably expect the ref to intervene. However, the back mount with hooks ends as a 10-9 far more off than in a submission win, unless the fighter in inferior position has already been rocked. When a grappler gets the back of his opponent early in the round, I usually have pretty good idea about what the next five minutes will entail.

I think I will turn it into a drinking game next time. A shot of gin every time Joe Rogan:
a. Describes how a body triangle makes it hard to breathe (2 shots if he references Ivan Salaverry).
b. Talks about how the gloves make it hard to sink in a choke.
c. Describes a futile choke attempt as "deep".

I am not really picking on Rogan. He is trying to pass the time as well.

Nothing in this world eases a man's conscience like doing the right thing with other peoples' money.
IngaVovchanchyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #106
callofdutyNBA

Orange Belt

I always found GSP's lay & pray entertaining, just because it was GSP. He made his lay & pray fun to watch with how smooth his ground game was.

callofdutyNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #107
SBC

Green Belt

Define Lay and Pray. Some people think that any exchange on the ground that isn't taking place at a rapid pace is Lay and Pray. As long as the fighters are making an effort to pass/GNP or retain guard, sweep, or submit I have no problem with it. It's when the fighters have zero neither fighter has any skills beyond laying there that it's annoying. Or when their gassed out and do literally nothing.

SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #108
PAPERCLIP30

Black Belt

vCash: 848
The majority of the time it's the guy on the bottom. They hold onto the guy on top and stare at the ref until there's a stand up. Remove ref stand ups, and they'll have no other choice but to find a way to get back watch.

Watch DHK vs. Siyar for an example of this.

PAPERCLIP30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #109
JDB

Blue Belt

It's lame, they need to put less value on takedowns and wrestling in general.

-The DanaWhite
JDB is offline   Reply With Quote