Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > Ask The Fighters

Ask The Fighters Got a question about the sport or a particular fighter? Ask them.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
TriangleMan

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
For amateurs and pros, how did you start "officially" training?

As a Southern California native, it's not unusual for gyms to charge anywhere from $150-200+ for membership fees each month. Yet, pros are able to train for free (I've heard stories of Beneil Dariush going from CSW to Kings MMA to Black House (which isn't an open gym, I'm aware). As such, I've heard that amateurs tend to pay fees, but they get a discount or are the few exceptions to train for free because they are officially representing the gym (I believe Reign Training Center lets them train for free). In other words, they get to train with the official fight team of a specific gym.

So my question is this: If you're a amateur/pro fighter, how were you able to start training at your gym? Did you have to go through a year or so of training like everyone else and paying fees, or were you able to talk something out with the coach of the gym?

I'm no aspiring fighter, but I hear about people complaining about fees often so a thread on how to bypass that might serve of use.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Raul24

Purple Belt

i pay less cause im in the amateur team i bet it works in many gyms and pro fighters dont train free, they pay the trainers or something but there is an arangement behind.

What you have to do is work hard, and eventually you will get it, however, if you dont want to fight, then there's no point in joining a top tier gym , maybe you can get to an agreement or find another gym

Alexander ''The Mauler'' Gustafsson-LHW Champion 2014
Raul24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
yuba84

Green Belt

Barbozas leg kicks rock

Old 12-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
TriangleMan

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul24 View Post
i pay less cause im in the amateur team i bet it works in many gyms and pro fighters dont train free, they pay the trainers or something but there is an arangement behind.

What you have to do is work hard, and eventually you will get it, however, if you dont want to fight, then there's no point in joining a top tier gym , maybe you can get to an agreement or find another gym
Thanks for your input. Very important point covered in the second section you wrote as well. It'll save people money and potential transportation time.

If you don't mind me asking, how much less do you pay compared to the average gym goer? Also, I didn't mention that pros pay the trainers (I assumed it was a given, but thanks for covering it), I was emphasizing more on drop-ins and pros being invited to a certain gym. Again, thanks for the input.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Raul24

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
Thanks for your input. Very important point covered in the second section you wrote as well. It'll save people money and potential transportation time.

If you don't mind me asking, how much less do you pay compared to the average gym goer? Also, I didn't mention that pros pay the trainers (I assumed it was a given, but thanks for covering it), I was emphasizing more on drop-ins and pros being invited to a certain gym. Again, thanks for the input.
anytime bro and yes sometimes they get invited, i know a few guys who were invited to greg jackson's and are doing pretty well

i pay like like 40% less and you get more benefits, like using special areas just for the pro/amateur fighters

Alexander ''The Mauler'' Gustafsson-LHW Champion 2014
Raul24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
fullmount87

Green Belt

vCash: 1184
I train for free but I help run the gym when the coach is out

fullmount87 is offline   Reply With Quote