Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #141
muerte1

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBJJ101 View Post
Looking back he looked slowed down in the Arvloski fight, and especially in the Rogers fight
Yep. I felt Fedor might obviously be finished in the Fujita/Randleman fights due to being straight rocked and the suplex which looked (is?) life threatening, but it wasn't till the Arlovski fight that I felt that Fedor is simply under performing compared to his opponent.

muerte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #142
discrawg

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrouble View Post
gonzaga vs crocop
yep

Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #143
discrawg

Blue Belt

Andrei Arlovski vs Tim Silvia 2

Andrei was on a tear, submitting Tim for the title and being on a 6 match win streak, he was demolishing everyone in his path, unreal boxing, KO power, & great submissions. He looked unstoppable until he fought Silvia the second time and lost, then in their third match they were both over cautious and the fight was terribly boring. Andrei lost his aura during this period.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #144
SandWedge

White Belt

someone mentioned Torres/Bowles. Thats is a really great one I think people forget because of what has since happened to Torres.

going into that fight Torres was 37-1, (and that 1 loss was 6-7 years prior) and was being considered Top 3 P4P. He defended his belt 4 times in dominating fashion and then was coming off that amazing fight with Mizugaki. and kind of like Silva/Weidman, it was quick and entirely unexpected, It looked like Torres had Bowles hurt and was advancing like crazy and Bowles just timed a perfect counter amidst it.

Since then sadly both guys have fallen pretty hard Torres is 3-6 and Bowles is 2-3 with a failed drug test.

that card (WEC 42) itself also had the first Beniviedez vs. Cruz FOTN; and also Danny Castillo knocking out Ricardo Lamas!?

SandWedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #145
Polynomial_C

Brown Belt

Wand vs hunt

Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #146
burnthehive

Blue Belt

1) Fedor vs Bigfoot - Fedor's loss to Werdum could have easily been passed off as Fedor's over-aggression and Werdum catching a "lucky" submission. But Fedor was busted up by Bigfoot, and the fight was stopped. People walked away from that fight knowing that Fedor's reign was over.

2) Shogun vs Machida I - The overwhelming majority of the MMA community felt like Shogun exposed some serious holes in Machida's game, and that he was robbed of the win. The Machida era ended shortly after it began with this fight, even if he still got to hang onto the belt until Shogun vs Machida II.

3) CroCop vs Gonzaga - Those of us who have been watching MMA for many years remember the hype surrounding Mirko as he developed his name in Pride. Sure, he was knocked out by Randleman. But a lot of that felt very much like a fluke -- Randleman tricked Mirko at the start of the fight and landed a devastating bomb on him. But when Gonzaga KOed Mirko , there was nothing "lucky" about it. He dominated him on the ground, then knocked his head off. No one really feared Mirko after that.

4) Jones vs Gus - Gus made Jones look very beatable. He hit him, controlled him and to the eyes of many, won the fight. Prior to this fight, Jones never really looked beatable -- he always managed to get out of range of any damage.

5) Hughs vs Penn I - Seriously, this is one of those fights that made BJ Penn a legend. Hughs was dominant, and BJ Penn submitted him beautifully.

6) Couture vs Liddell I - Couture boxed Chuck up and dropped him on his head, repeatedly. Prior to that, Liddell was just knocking guys around and knocking guys out.

7) Couture vs Belfort I - Vitor sort of gets a pass because of his personal issues. But Couture's constant pressure showed that Vitor will wilt at some point. Vitor carried that reputation with him for years (deservedly).

8) Shogun vs Jones - We've never seen Shogun get beat up before, and Jones just dominated him. Prior to that fight, Shogun's losses all seemed very "once in a lifetime."

9) Bowles vs Torres - Torres had a huge win streak heading into the fight, and was a consensus top five P4P. Bowles knocked him out cold. After that, both men went on a bit of a skid -- but Torres was one of the most dramatic.

10) Weidman vs Silva II - In their first fight, it really looked like Silva's antics just cost him, and he was hit with a hard shot. Anyone can be dropped, right? But in the second fight, Silva put the plume on Weidman, and Weidman stood with it and dropped Silva hard. I think everyone seen Silva's lights flicker on that one. And then Silva's leg literally broke against Weidman's. I don't think any top-tier fighter ever looked so broken after only two fights. Even Mirko and Wand came back to win after losing.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #147
rubberneck41

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhole9yards View Post
Not MMA but the first thing that popped in my head was Tyson/Douglas.
I may be biased due to my age and just how big of an upset it was. This should be the standard for all combat sports. It is the best example that no one is invincible. No matter your advantage if your head isn't right anyone can be beaten.