Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #91
johnsq316

Red Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAZSoliloquy View Post
Are you saying you agree with me? because you kinda proved my point.
Yes. Not sure why I quoted you to be honest, your post was just what made me think to look up all the ADCC champions in MMA.

It's like beating up Bruce Banner and saying you have a win over the Hulk.
johnsq316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #92
wowspare

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsq316 View Post
K-1 Champions who've had MMA success: Overeem, and he was a K-1 champ AFTER he was an MMA champion.

ADCC Champions who've had MMA success: Jacare, Palhares, Maia, Werdum, Monson, Kerr, Arona...

Seems fairly self-evident.
Like I said in previous posts, that's not an accurate comparison because the number of kickboxers that want to transition into mma are very few. Kickboxers don't even think about transitioning into mma when they begin their kickboxing careers. Wrestlers and bjj practitioners on the other hand, many more of them think about transitioning into mma, and hence their larger numbers in mma competition

wowspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #93
Kingz

Red Belt

A Junior College greco champ apparently..

but ADCC all day

Kingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #94
pheonix5

Purple Belt

I would have to say the grappler. Stopping the TD from an elite grappler is extremely tough. Without TDD the striker has to rely on perfect timing to KO the grappler before the TD. You could say the striker could use good footwork but eventually the grappler will cut off the angles. For the striker there would be more to have to learn. TDD,Sub defense,the ability to fight off their back, the ability to sweep or reverse position. The hardest part for the grappler would be good footwork,which the majority of fighters in general still lack, evasiveness(slipping,bobbing/weaving), timing and sub defense(wrestlers). The majority of grapplers that get KO'd are usually a result of bad takedown timing,entering with their hands down or trying to stand and bang with a striker who has better timing,defense and footwork.

pheonix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #95
Aberinkula

Purple Belt

Depends on style and talent level?
I would say ADCC guy.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #96
MusaGhadhanfar

White Belt

How about (and hear me out now) somebody who's been training multiple styles (BJJ,MT) from a young age!
Mind=Blown

MusaGhadhanfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #97
A2DaK2
Banned

I think it is irrelevant. If you come from a striking background then you have to be a natural at wrestling and bjj and viceversa for guys that come from a ground fighting background. But I do think that more people are naturals at striking then the ground game but it really just comes down to the individual.

A2DaK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #98
Motofantomx

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoshowtenuno View Post
Depends. We've seen some great grapplers come into the sport and get destroyed because they have no durability and can't take a hit if their life depended on it. We'e seen a lot of former kick boxers come into the sport and completely rely on their striking and get submitted in under a minute.

I'd probably say former ADCC champion due simply to the fact that a striker avoiding a takedown from a master grappler is way harder than an ADCC champion avoiding strikes from a k-1 champion.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. There are notable exceptions out there like Cro Cop in his Pride days. He had such a good feel for spacing and timing that his unorthodox spinning TDD worked wonders for him and kept the fight standing most of the time. For the most part, though, as long as the grappler isn't too chinny they should have the inherent advantage as they have a better ability to control where the fight takes place.

Walking through a courtyard, I witnessed the constant metamorphosis of the Universe
Motofantomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #99
SlomiGa
MMAathmetician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWIS540 View Post
ADCC

K1 champion who tried MMA after- Aerts, Cikatic, Hunt.........only Hunt had anything like success.
That's because they were old when they entered MMA. Cikatic was like 45 in his fight vs Kerr? I could be wrong, but he was definitely old.