Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #101
jsyankees12

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Everyone in this thread....

jsyankees12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #102
emelianenkoNog

Black Belt

Been a fan of Fangzz' for awhile, EFC Africa used to stream for free so I watched them all the time. Never thought I'd see him in the UFC. If he does good it could be quite a gateway, EFC Africa has the best production I've ever seen from anyone besides the UFC, PRIDE, and maybe Strikeforce. They have a few guys I'm interested in.

GOMI,Freire,Aoki
GSP,FITCH,Askren,TWood
JACARE,Storm,Wand,Shango
HENDO,Vlad,M'Pumbu,Zayats
JDS,DC,Deuce
MINOTAURO OVERALL
emelianenkoNog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #103
hanzothekid

Orange Belt

Really good signing, EFC is one of the most under appreciated orgs out there. Now the UFC needs to sign The Angolan Wolf Demarte Pena. or even Van Zyl if he can get back in the win column.

hanzothekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #104
Power of Pain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamine86 View Post
Be honest, how many of you were expecting Cheick Kongo's cousin?

You mean a big black mean looking dude?

Not gonna lie I was expecting the same thing but at the same time South Africa has been heavily involved in the MMA/Boxing scene so I was also expecting a white dude.

Francois Botha is a white guy from South Africa and is the only fighter from there to hold a major World Heavyweight Championship in Pro Boxing.

Power of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #105
maksy

Black Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanli View Post
Im looking to seeing more fighters from this promotion making it to ufc.
Me too,is great see UFC sign with african fighters.

Hardcore Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler fan
maksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #106
orangecuse

Silver Belt

vCash: 2875
Quote:
Originally Posted by daks View Post
This is fantastic news for South African MMA and Ruan
I wish him the best because he works hard

But not to sound pessimistic but SA MMA is 10 years behind UFC level.
I hope I am wrong but Ruan is going to get totally dominated. He is nowhere UFC level, in fact we don't have UFC level fighters here. We will probably be competitive on the regional circuit in the USA, but no way UFC level.

Our wrestling standard is too low, and its not on offer in the schools here, so most of the guys do kickboxing, boxing and bjj after school or work.

I watch most EFC fights and go to their shows, as I love MMA, but truth be told SA mma is 10 years behind USA .
Yeah I watched when they had free streams. I'm still singed up for their e-mails too. The production values were great, the crowd seemed really into it and everyone fought hard. But it was beginner level and that was just a few years ago. I see Ruan fought someone in 2013 that I saw him fight early on. That's not encouraging. Figured they'd bring in more & better fighters to test their homegrown favorites. I don't see it going good at all for him in either weight class.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #107
VolkHan

Blue Belt

Demarte Pena and Nkazimulo Zulu should be good signs from EFC Africa.

Not so related cauz it's an african fighting out of UK a la Manuwa but zimbabwean Walter "Sniper" Gahadza is a very good prospect

FLW: Almeida, Gaff, Andrade
SW: JoJo, Gadelha, Inoue, Hamasaki, Rawlings, Kankanpaa
AW: Ham, Waterson, Costigan
VolkHan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #108
Page

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daks View Post
You want to pay R668 ($60) to watch Ufc at 3am?
And you miss the premiums. I doubt you can get enough buddies to fork 50 bucks to watch at that time in the morning.

3 years back when when the exchange rate was about R6 to the $ then it was reasonable, but since the Rand has gone to shit rather buy the DVD.
The cards being watered down as they are now there is no ways I would pay that kind of money. You and I know that R668 is a lot of money.

If you put it like that then no, but what I would like is the option. With a fights like Silva Weidman, all the Fedor fights, Reem vs Brock. Those fights I was up that time trying to get the freakin live stream to work anyhow.

What I would like is a partnership with our local broadcasters where we can watch it on DSTV PPV or something. I've got 2 or 3 buds i can pull together to split R500 once every 4 months for the stacked cards.

Edit to add : also wouldnt mind a delayed broadcast.

Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #109
Ipissedyouoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowspare View Post
Was expecting someone a bit more athletic
I was expecting to see someone with a spear and loin cloth.

Ipissedyouoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #110
Cool Hand Luke

I had dinner with Ruan and his wife back in 2012 while vacationing in South Africa. My Muay Thai coach there was his striking coach for awhile I believe. Really humble guy, very down to earth.

Ruan has a tremendous ground game though I do think he is a little small for the HW division in the states. In terms of grappling, I think he is just as good as any top 10 HW in the UFC, though his striking could be improved.

Gideon will likely be the next SA prospect - the guy is an absolute beast and he lives for fighting.

Another fighter who I think would fare well is Don Madge. At 23/24 he is one of the most pure strikers I have ever seen and his thin lags pack a whallop (just ask my forearm) - he was originally a Muay Thai purist at first and then begin his BJJ training in the past few years - you can see it in his fights how he has progressed on the ground. He had a weird stoppage loss in his 2nd/3rd fight where he motioned to the referee about his mouth piece (which he thought came out) and then, in my opinion, lost a controversial decision which lost him his title as well.

The UFC is smart in branching out in SA - they make those Afrikaaner rugby boys big and if they have another avenue to train in MMA with a future, I think SA will be producing some decent competition in the coming years.

Hercules ---> Herr kühles Eis ---> Mr. Cool Ice
Cool Hand Luke is online now   Reply With Quote