Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #101
tko222

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevynnsynns View Post
He's the fastest because he weighs 92lbs. Gravity is less in lighter objects therefore he can move much faster than larger men . So no not even close jon jones is P4P top
then how could usain bolt runs faster than midgets...?.he definitely weighs more than 230lbs.

tko222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #102
Kingfarthur

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Fighter View Post
And when I mentioned asians, do you really think they average more than 140 lbs? Have you been to asia? I would guess the average asian male weighs 140 or less. That puts most of the world (at least median wise) at flyweight average for men.
Do you know how many huge men live in the U.S? Sure, there are a lot of 140 pound men in the world, but there are also a ton of 300+ men, and an insane amount of 200+ men around. To offset that you'd need millions of 30 pound men, and they obviously aren't around. Id say the average weight of a man on this planet is around 180 pounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_weight

Edit: I was about right. The average weight of men and women is about 137 pounds, so for men alone its much larger. It looks to be around 170.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #103
TX Fighter

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko222 View Post
then how could usain bolt runs faster than midgets...?.he definitely weighs more than 230lbs.
Very good point. Some of the fastest men in the world are big. Usain is very tall and probably bigger than jon jones. Lhw at least.

Mouse just has crazy athleticism. Maybe he wont have the same cardio, but would still be quick

TX Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #104
TX Fighter

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfarthur View Post
Do you know how many huge men live in the U.S? Sure, there are a lot of 140 pound men in the world, but there are also a ton of 300+ men, and an insane amount of 200+ men around. To offset that you'd need millions of 30 pound men, and they obviously aren't around. Id say the average weight of a man on this planet is around 180 pounds.
Do you know what median is?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #105
tko222

White Belt

Quote:
Very good point. Some of the fastest men in the world are big. Usain is very tall and probably bigger than jon jones. Lhw at least.

Mouse just has crazy athleticism. Maybe he wont have the same cardio, but would still be quick
not some of the fastest men are big .If you see 100m dash all mens weigh well above 190pounds.

tko222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #106
Kingfarthur

Green Belt

Quote:
Do you know what median is?
We're talking about average weight, right? I edited my post above and posted a link. It should enlighten you a bit, it did for me.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #107
TX Fighter

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfarthur View Post
We're talking about average weight, right? I edited my post above and posted a link. It should enlighten you a bit, it did for me.
You know median is a type of average, right?

And probably much more useful in this context, so outliers dont skew the average, like in your example.

There are probably much more men in the world that weigh 140 lb or less. I would guess at least half the men in this world weigh no more than 140 lbs