Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Jose Aldo 367 67.09%
Chad Mendes 180 32.91%
Voters: 547. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #181
CerebralKnievel

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce Porter View Post
There's a first time for everything. The Alpha Hombres always come in with great cardio.
Chad wasn't displaying phenomenal cardio in his bout with Nick Lentz. I don't expect a repeat of that performance, but figured it should be mentioned.

CerebralKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #182
Greco_Wiz

Purple Belt

Such a tough one. As a huge Mendes fan, this fight makes me nervous. Overall, I give Aldo a slight advantage.

The striking will be close early, but I expect Aldo to find his rhythm around the second/third round. Mendes is first guy IMO to be just as explosive in this department as Aldo, but he doesn't have the fluidity and general experience Aldo does.

I do think Mendes can bully Aldo in the clinch again. By that, I mean having Aldo pretty much constantly defending against the cage and losing the positioning battle.

Takedowns will be few and far between. I think it'll be a lot like Edgar/Aldo here. Mendes will get a takedown or two, but will have trouble doing much with it.

If Mendes can avoid the finishing shots by Aldo (head kicks, knees, spinning shit) he can make a it a very close one and possibly eek out a decision.

Greco_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #183
Greco_Wiz

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralKnievel View Post
Chad wasn't displaying phenomenal cardio in his bout with Nick Lentz. I don't expect a repeat of that performance, but figured it should be mentioned.
This is a huge factor that worries me. Yes, he was sick in that fight. But if you watch the Guida fight closely, he slows down noticeably towards the end of the second and in the third. I think this is really overlooked because he still got the finish late.

Greco_Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #184
Sushi Mane

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco_Wiz View Post
Such a tough one. As a huge Mendes fan, this fight makes me nervous. Overall, I give Aldo a slight advantage.

The striking will be close early, but I expect Aldo to find his rhythm around the second/third round. Mendes is first guy IMO to be just as explosive in this department as Aldo, but he doesn't have the fluidity and general experience Aldo does.

I do think Mendes can bully Aldo in the clinch again. By that, I mean having Aldo pretty much constantly defending against the cage and losing the positioning battle.

Takedowns will be few and far between. I think it'll be a lot like Edgar/Aldo here. Mendes will get a takedown or two, but will have trouble doing much with it.

If Mendes can avoid the finishing shots by Aldo (head kicks, knees, spinning shit) he can make a it a very close one and possibly eek out a decision.
this is pretty much how i feel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco_Wiz View Post
This is a huge factor that worries me. Yes, he was sick in that fight. But if you watch the Guida fight closely, he slows down noticeably towards the end of the second and in the third. I think this is really overlooked because he still got the finish late.
valid point yet Lentz is solid and being sick while fighting sucks hard. that aspect def being underrated. Also chasing guida around 2 rounds should be like 4 with aldo. Aldos been somewhat slow paces and guidas a bouncy ball lol.

Sushi Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #185
Kinger85

Silver Belt

vCash: 7656
Going with Aldo as of right now, but I reserve the right to change my mind before Saturday.

Kinger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #186
diffuzn

White Belt

vCash: 200
Going with Mendes as long as he can survive the first 2 rounds. His style will outscore aldo as they both gas

diffuzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 AM   #187

Green Belt

Icon10

24K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #188
SherdogGoat

Black Belt

Aldo by tko but I think Mendes would put up a better fight this time around

Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #189
Linux34

White Belt

This PPV comes down to: Is Aldo v. Mendes worth $50 for that fight alone?

Rest of the card is dogshit.

Over the Hill Glover vs. Mr. Pink Shorts? Hell na!

Linux34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #190
fandangler101

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonFoxGOAT View Post
The fans.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
And 'Merica!
Awesome AV.