Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
Kirin

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by olingobingo View Post
Weidman has flatout mauled every opponent he's been in the ring with. His mix of heavy hands, strong wrestling, and prodigious BJJ is seriously way too potent a combo. He knocks people out, he brutally submits them, and if he can do neither he smothers them on the ground. People look at the endings of the Silva fights, but they forget that Weidman was outstriking Anderson on his feet throughout both bouts. He made a hot and motivated Munoz look like a bum taken off the street.

Machida has solid striking and solid takedown defense.

It's not enough.

He will get taken down. He will struggle getting back up. He does not do well on the ground.

You're gonna need a ground game to beat Weidman. If you can't roll with him on the ground you're gonna be in trouble. He already decimated a one-dimensional striker in Silva, he will do it again with Machida.
I like weidman, but I'm also realistic when it comes to his abilities. He had a ton of success against silva standing because he knew that he could take him down at will. Anderson hardly opened up with his striking due to worrying about getting caught with a td if he over-committed. Machida's tdd is leagues better than silva's, so he'll be able to throw at will while also being confident in keeping the fight standing. If by chance weidman gets a td (which in no way certain) what in the world have you seen to suggest that machida can't get back up? Even when jones took down lyoto, he got back up in less than half a minute.

"Fuck him."
-Matt Serra

"...up there [in the cage] we go out to kick some ass."
-Renan Barao
Kirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #42
gohard305

Blue Belt

I think Machida wins this somewhat easily. The champ will have his moments and maybe even score a takedown or 2.. but Machida will win this fight, mark my words. Sig bets welcomed (;

gohard305 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #43
olingobingo

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I like weidman, but I'm also realistic when it comes to his abilities. He had a ton of success against silva standing because he knew that he could take him down at will. Anderson hardly opened up with his striking due to worrying about getting caught with a td if he over-committed. Machida's tdd is leagues better than silva's, so he'll be able to throw at will while also being confident in keeping the fight standing. If by chance weidman gets a td (which in no way certain) what in the world have you seen to suggest that machida can't get back up? Even when jones took down lyoto, he got back up in less than half a minute.

Silva was opening up with strikes. Some of them landed, many of them didn't. Toward the end of the first round Weidman literally stood in front of Silva and let him pop jabs at him, all of which he ducked. He also got out of the way of a snappy frontkick among other things. Weidman was connecting because he was doubling up punches, feinting jabs, and following through with straights. The lead into the KO was a double-right which Silva, obviously, did not foresee. These are all more advanced striking techniques you usually don't find in the striking-inept sport of MMA. Weidman cracked Silva's chin with the exact same punch he KO'd Hall with. Both times he had guys cycling out into a hooking left. You and many other people are grossly underestimating his striking capabilities. He is not especially fast, but that doesn't matter. He demonstrates technique both offensively and defensively that the vast majority of MMA fighters do not have. He also has strong punching power.

As for takedown defense and Machida's ability to get back up. Jones does not have nearly the same wrestling background Weidman does. He also doesn't have the same BJJ skills. Weidman is a huge threat on the ground because he understands control and when to attack with an almost preternatural sense of things. You don't utterly and totally destroy Munoz and Silva without knowing a thing or two about wrestling and striking. Machida's best option is to ride his bike, pick away at Weidman for five rounds, and get a decision. He might be able to KO Weidman, but I really can't see that happening. Weidman's avenues to victory are far more diverse than what Machida's got. Machida might be able to keep cycling, but I have my doubts. Weidman stalked a bouncy Silva down with ease. I don't think Machida is that much more challenging.

olingobingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 AM   #44
C0NCH3TO

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ambush View Post
Just out of curiosity how many of those picking Weidman are just doing it to bet against Machida? If you're a Weidman fan, that's fine and understandable.

For over two months I remember reading about how Mousasi was an animal, on a different level, and how it was his fight to lose. Then we all recall what happened after.
Mousasi and Weidman are two totally different individuals though. Mousasi has the most padded record with 0 top 10 wins against any lhw or mw during the last 5 years. Chris was coming off beating one of the greatest fighters of all times. Twice.

I invented teh interwebz

Fan de Ataque 77
C0NCH3TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:00 AM   #45
Yolandabecool

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Yeah man styles make fights. A perfect little triangle to look at is Maia, Sonnen, Anderson.

Maia finished Sonnen in less that a round. he was never in danger. The reason is due to his relaxation on the feet. Sonnen's TD threat didn't worry Maia.

Prior to Weidman, Sonnen gave Anderson more trouble than he has ever had in the UFC. He isn't heavy handed nor does he possess elite striking but the threat of the takedown limited Anderson's ability to freely strike & the result was a very tough win.

Now you can look to Maia versus Weidman. Weidman did nothing to Maia on the feet & was outstruck for significant portions of the fight. Maia wasn't threatened by the takedown.

This is why Machida is going to be deadly. His TDD versus Weidman will allow him to strike freely. Weidman doesn't have great striking, he has great grappling which opens his ability to strike against those with underwhelming TDD.

I expect Machida to completely outclass Chris on the feet & when Chris is down 3 rounds to zip I think he will over commit & get finished.

That being said Chris only has a handful of years striking. Every day he will be getting better & he might show something new ala Gus v Bones.

Yolandabecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #46
the ambush
Room 237

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0NCH3TO View Post
Mousasi and Weidman are two totally different individuals though. Mousasi has the most padded record with 0 top 10 wins against any lhw or mw during the last 5 years. Chris was coming off beating one of the greatest fighters of all times. Twice.
You are right. I just remember what seemed like legions of fans saying Mousasi was going to run through him no problem.

At one point it felt like unwarranted disrespect to Machida. That's what internet blogs are for I suppose, par of the course.

the ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #47
ectera

Purple Belt

Machida is a bad fight for Weidman he went from facing a great fighter, but was known for struggling against wrestlers to an former lhw champion who is known for his tdd and giving wrestlers a hard time figuring him out. Machida has only loss to shogun and bones he's a threat to anyone imo.

If Weidman wins i'll definetly be impressed tho.

ectera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #48
Yolandabecool

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ambush View Post
You are right. I just remember what seemed like legions of fans saying Mousasi was going to run through him no problem.

At one point it felt like unwarranted disrespect to Machida. That's what internet blogs are for I suppose, par of the course.
Mousasi is a brilliant striker. People were correct in tipping Mousasi to potentially win. Outside Anderson, Vitor & Machida - Mousasi is near enough the next best pure striker at 185lb & 205lb.

Machida fans should take it as a credit to how well he did. Mousasi isn't overrated at all. Machida beat him in a stand-up fight & that is phenomenal.

Yolandabecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #49
Jeff Goldblum69

Brown Belt

Machida ko.... I believe!!!

Jeff Goldblum69 is offline   Reply With Quote