Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #31
grooves12

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trane View Post
There's no point in discussing it now, as the UFC has gone through with it. The UFC will shamelessly try to put on what they view as the biggest(most profitable) fights, no matter how unwarranted...it's a joke but there's nothing we can do, they will do whatever they want to fill their pockets, while legitimacy takes a backseat
Ironically, I think think they are costing themselves money by putting on this fight. Nobody bought into the hype that Renan was the pound for pound best except Dana.

The people that bought that card did so for Cormier/Hendo and Lawler/Ellenberger. Dillashaw went out and had a star-making performance. I was actually looking forward to see him fight again. However, I don't want to pay to see him fight Barao again. I'm just not interested in the fight. Pitting Dillashaw against the #1 contender in Assuncao, who has a win against Dillashaw, is a much more interesting fight. If Dillashaw wins and Renan goes out and murders his next opponent (or 2), you could chalk up the loss to a bad night for Barao and hype up the rematch. Now, it is just a stale rerun with no interest. They'll have to put a STRONG co-main (or 2) to gain any interest in the card.

grooves12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #32
Jackonflame

Silver Belt

vCash: 300
The fact that Barao agreed to fight TJ when he did has a lot to do with this. It might even be part of his contract for taking that fight. That was his second title fight this year, in under 5 months.

I really don't have a problem with this rematch and apparently neither does TJ

Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #33
Prime Yossarian

Green Belt

Should only be a rematch if >50% of fans score it an SD.

Prime Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
Krouget

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooves12 View Post
Ironically, I think think they are costing themselves money by putting on this fight. Nobody bought into the hype that Renan was the pound for pound best except Dana.
Not even Dana, did. He only felt that way every time a Barao card was on the menu.

Everyone else just thought he was really good, and he still is. But given that beating, needs to get in line.

Krouget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #35
ALAN PARTRIDGE

Silver Belt

vCash: 770
well this is new and refreshing

Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #36
Duxtape

Brown Belt

I agree completely. Of all the silly shit people bitch about on these forums that are "killing MMA", the one that is truly a black mark on the sport is this new precedent that contenders have to beat champs twice in a row. It's retarded, this isn't the fucking World Series.

The only one that made sense was Anderson getting an instant rematch, for several reasons.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #37
RoscoeRufus

Orange Belt

vCash: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by That209 View Post
I don't really mind that there's a rematch between Dillshaw/Barao, honestly.

I'm not one for rematches and I understand that TJ just destroyed the guy, but Barao was considered to be the top guy P4P and he was undefeated for 9 years. He was destroying everybody they put in front of him in the UFC, I don't think it's all that crazy like some people think that Barao is getting a rematch.

Besides, this may be good for TJ's career. He beat Barao once already and if he can do it again it would be even more satisfying for him and the people cheering for him, especially the people who have been behind him ever since he got in the UFC.

I hope TJ is able to dismantle Barao once again in similar fashion, I love watching him fight and honestly never really cared about Barao for some reason.

Also, I never agreed that Barao was the #1 P4P. I give that spot to either Jose Aldo or Jon Jones, other than that - this whole P4P thing is ridiculous, as are rankings in general.
+1, well put.

Defeat is impossible.
RoscoeRufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #38
HydralisK

Brown Belt

vCash: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeniro78 View Post
The UFC has a very silly perspective of what is rematch-worthy.

They think that any title fight that goes 5 rounds must be immediately rematched. Heaven forbid these guys fight someone else first.
They also have a silly perspective of what is hall of fame worthy, so it's not that big of surprise. Of course, I am on the bandwagon of this rematch sucks still.

Bigg Rigg War Wagon. The Chris War Wagon.
HydralisK is offline   Reply With Quote