Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #71
jeremyemilio

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlekin View Post
1. They don't know what is significant
2. Soft arm punch counts as much as a knockout punch.
3. UFC changes and fakes them
= It's a stat for dumb people and armchair warriors.
See. Here's the 'derpy derp' garbage I'm talking about.

Fightmetric weights heavy punches to the head waaaaaaaaaaay higher than they do 'soft arm punches' or leg kicks or jabs to the body. That's why when they offer their full fight analysis you almost always see rounds being awarded to the guy who lands the hard head shots, regardless of whatever else lands.

It just so happens that they also record everything landed at range as a 'significant strikes.' You know... just like a baseball box score records both home runs and infield singles as 'hits.'

But all of this has been explained literally thousands of times on this forum, so perhaps I'm the idiot for deluding myself into thinking that one more time will finally do the trick.

jeremyemilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #72
jeremyemilio

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Feld View Post
It's just a tool. Not meant to be gospel.

Most of the criticism towards it is misunderstandings about it.

There's the live and unofficial stats, then the basic FPR report after going over the results again. Neither are supposed to decide a fight's winner. Afaik, they occasionally dedicate a full blog post where they detail where strikes landed and break down grappling and so on and determine a winner based on several factors(usually for main events).

These misconceptions lead to some funny arguments like when the basic report shows fighter A landing more strikes and people call it bs because they think that means Fightmetric is saying that means fighter B lost. Then the blog post comes out showing they gave fighter B the decision and then they're mindf***ed.

Recently this happened with Mousasi/Machida.
This right here.

But... ugh... Sherdog and it's blind assumptions are so frickin exhausting.

jeremyemilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #73
pseudo genki

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
We just need a sticky FightMetric FAQ, because every complaint in this thread, as usual, distills down to "I don't understand how FightMetric functions".

pseudo genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 AM   #74
NoAbsolutes

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyemilio View Post
See. Here's the 'derpy derp' garbage I'm talking about.

Fightmetric weights heavy punches to the head waaaaaaaaaaay higher than they do 'soft arm punches' or leg kicks or jabs to the body. That's why when they offer their full fight analysis you almost always see rounds being awarded to the guy who lands the hard head shots, regardless of whatever else lands.

It just so happens that they also record everything landed at range as a 'significant strikes.' You know... just like a baseball box score records both home runs and infield singles as 'hits.'

But all of this has been explained literally thousands of times on this forum, so perhaps I'm the idiot for deluding myself into thinking that one more time will finally do the trick.
Way to aim for the low-hanging fruit. Care to address the fact that FM doesn't even attempt to adhere to MMA's rules. Skipping over valid arguments to address the poorly thought-out knee-jerk reactions can be a fun way to spend your day though.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #75
BOTTICELLI
American Mustache

Interesting thread.....

BOTTICELLI is offline   Reply With Quote