Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 PM   #71
Broad Blade

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4pcummins View Post
Does it scare you the fact that Rory was beating Lawler in the first 2 rounds alone.
The fact that Rory had an injury and a bad training camp.
The fact that he probably would have won if it was a 5 round fight.

These are only scare tactics, Ill admit that. I wouldnt even base him winning on these "excuses". I believe he is the better striker and maybe you will see it.
But I also recognize that Robbie could very well win as Rory has a lot of difficulty with southpaw fighters.
LMAO, your delusional. That's all I need to say... Time to watch the Story fight now...

Broad Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #72
Bones245n4847

Purple Belt

Lawler all day son, Rory will fold like a cheap walmart great value tent as always when pressured like the Condit fight where he looks great when he is generating offense but man, when the opponent starts fighting back he look like a fish out of water.

Bones245n4847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #73
Eagle Press

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4pcummins View Post
Does it scare you the fact that Rory was beating Lawler in the first 2 rounds alone.
The fact that Rory had an injury and a bad training camp.
The fact that he probably would have won if it was a 5 round fight.

These are only scare tactics, Ill admit that. I wouldnt even base him winning on these "excuses". I believe he is the better striker and maybe you will see it.
But I also recognize that Robbie could very well win as Rory has a lot of difficulty with southpaw fighters.
Lawler is clearly the better striker, as he got the better of the vast majority of exchanges, and has a much more diverse skill set. He's more technically proficient, fluid, and has an overwhelming power advantage. Not to mention, Lawler's fight style is the absolute worst match up for Rory.

Rory has to control the pace of the fight, and dictate the range. When he does so, he runs a clinic on his opponent. Lawler switches between ranges at will, breaking Rory's rhythm, preventing Rory from truly becoming comfortable.

Rory can win, but he will have to utilize his striking in order to clinch with Lawler, tire him out along the fence, and keep him backed up to it (this forces Lawler to fight at the range Rory chooses). If he tries to out strike Lawler, he will be frustrated yet again, and likely get finished.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #74
Wayweary

Black Belt

vCash: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaRousey View Post
Last November, Robbie Lawler took a close, split-decision win over Rory McDonald to be granted a shot at the vacant welterweight title against Johny Hendricks.

Since then, both have had two fights against top competition.

Lawler dropped a competitive decision against the current champion, Johny Hendricks, then rebounded with a third round TKO victory against Jake Ellenberger in May. He is also scheduled to face Matt Brown later this month. MacDonald, after losing to Lawler, has rebounded with two straight decision victories over Demian Maia and Tyron Woodley.

1. Who would you root for and/or pick in a rematch?
2. Also, who do you think has been more impressive since their first meeting?

It would be up in the air. Lawler has looked more impressive, but we should wait to see how dominant he is against Brown. If it goes as I expect it to, Lawler will have looked better since Rory didn't finish in his subsequent wins.

Wayweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 AM   #75
Eagle Press

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones245n4847 View Post
Lawler all day son, Rory will fold like a cheap walmart great value tent as always when pressured like the Condit fight where he looks great when he is generating offense but man, when the opponent starts fighting back he look like a fish out of water.
That's why Firas deliberately honed Rory's style to become what it is today. It's all based around Rory controlling fight and nullifying his opponent. When a guy is able to overcome his defences, i.e. Lawler, Rory gets overwhelmed and sloppy.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #76
1neomonkey

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Rory needs to come forward to be dominant, when he can't he tends to buckle. Robbie is not an easy guy to walk down, and that's what caused Rory lots of problems the first fight. Absent any kind of change in strategy, I don't see why a second fight would be any different.

With that said however, both are great fighters and its certainly not a foregone conclusion that one fighter will win over the other. I'd love to see that rematch, but at this point, the winner of Brown/Lawler deserves the next title shot.

1neomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote