Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Harry Potter

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Two different unique analyses from UFC 168

Both worth a read….

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/moral...c-168-round-up

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/a-cha...disappointment

Last edited by Harry Potter; 01-04-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Harry Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Ottawaguy

Black Belt

vCash: 21961
I like the Leben piece in the first one. Thanks TS

Ottawaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Harry Potter

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaguy View Post
I like the Leben piece in the first one. Thanks TS
"In a sport like MMA, where toughness is a prerequisite and oftentimes discretion isn’t rewarded, you rarely see fighters quit. They might break during the course of a fight, and essentially quit-by-referee, but too often a fighter’s pride will override his better judgment. Which made Chris Leben’s decision on Saturday night so remarkable. Here was a guy who’s been fighting for his entire adult life, taking all kinds of punishment as he went, making the most self-aware decision a human being can make."

I really like this quote about Leben from the first article. Not enough people in the MMA world have this perspective.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
SeattleFightFan

Gold Belt

Quote:
See, my answer to bad behavior by athletes (Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, etc.) has more or less always gone like this: “He signed up to play a sport. At no point did he ever agree to take on the title of role model. You put that on him.” And then I would go about my day feeling superior and patting myself on the back for my logical and tolerant reaction to the imperfections of a human I’ll never meet, pleased as punch that I had refrained from passing judgment or doling out criticism.

But that detatchment didn't carry over into MMA. Before MMA came along I could have given two shits about sports, which meant I could afford to be philosophical about them. But after falling in love with MMA, suddenly I found myself feeling a deeply rooted emotional atachment to athletes for the first time in my life, the same kind all those angry fans of other sports possessed and which I had never understood. My emotional detachment was gone. I was becoming one of them.

Somewhere in my transition from apathetic observer of sports to one of those kooky fans who does bizarre things like lose sleep over the outcome of a fight, I lost objectivity about who MMA athletes are as people. I admit I now want my champions to embody the characteristics that I feel a champion should have. I want them humble, kind, thoughtful, brave, and virtuous. Not arrogant, cocky, mean, or disrespectful. After years of telling people they didn't have the right to expect their sports heroes to be anything more than athletes, here I am wanting my champions to be lots of things besides champions. I want them to be good people. But Ronda Rousey didn’t sign a contract with the UFC to be a perfect role model for any daughters I may produce. She signed a contract to fight. That’s it.

Much as I hate to admit it, Ronda has met all her obligations to me.
that's money. there's a few thousand sherdoggers that need to not only read this, but grok it.

thanks for the links TS.