Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
MiroHa

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411dd View Post
Rashad's face says it all. It's also hard to tell how much arona had left after he entered the ring for a second time on the same night. Shogun's fight aginst overeem was over in round one, whereas arona's fight against wand was a decision. Personally i think arona was already spent and that wasn't representitive of what would happen if they were both fresh.
Shogun's fight with Overeem was a lot more fast paced than Wand vs. Arona, though. There's not that much difference whether you're banging it out for 7 minutes or laying and praying for 15 minutes.

Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki
MiroHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
Cygnus-X

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravifreitas View Post
I think Lyoto's perfomance is better because Arona had fought in that same night and I think Rashad is a little bit better than Ricardo.
At that time Arona was a fucking BEAST, his wrestling and grappling was tough out for anyone. Hell, he was at that time the only one who could legitimately claim he outright beat Fedor. For Shogun to handle him on the ground and then getting that KO was amazing.

Cygnus-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

Rashad was losing the fight against Machida but I wouldn't say he was totally out of it.

Arona was hanging on for dear life against Shogun until he got KTFO.

Also, Rashad's eyes were still open at the time of the stoppage and IMO, the ref was a bit hasty with that stoppage.

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
GrindingANARCHY
Sherdog Bluffer

vCash: 50
Shogun vs Arona

Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Brown0517

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoto View Post
Not sure, but Rashad is a better, more proven, fighter than Arona. How many people actually dominate Rashad? So Machida got the better win of those two.
No one EVER dominated Arona besides for Shogun, Arona fought and was competitive with every single person he fought in his career... People have tooled Rashad, Rashad might be a better fighter but Arona at his peak was the biggest unstoppable blanket there ever was

Brown0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
PRIDEoftheUFC

Black Belt

Both Shad and Arona had nothing for their opponents. If you're a Shogun fan, you'll say Shogun and if you're a Machida fan you'll say Machida.

WW: Penn, Kampmann
LW: Penn, Melendez, Maynard, Chandler

Last edited by PRIDEoftheUFC; 12-16-2013 at 12:01 AM.
PRIDEoftheUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
Kyoto**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown0517 View Post
No one EVER dominated Arona besides for Shogun, Arona fought and was competitive with every single person he fought in his career... People have tooled Rashad, Rashad might be a better fighter but Arona at his peak was the biggest unstoppable blanket there ever was
And Sokoudjou?

Kyoto** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #28
Kyoto**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIDEoftheUFC View Post
Both Shad and Arona had nothing for their opponents. If you're a Shogun can, you'll say Shogun and if you're a Machida fan you'll say Machida.
That's basically what it boils down to.....which is why I think the quality of the opponents has to be factored in. Though, it seems that not everyone's in agreement there, either.

Kyoto** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Blayt7hh

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411dd View Post
Rashad's face says it all. It's also hard to tell how much arona had left after he entered the ring for a second time on the same night. Shogun's fight aginst overeem was over in round one, whereas arona's fight against wand was a decision. Personally i think arona was already spent and that wasn't representitive of what would happen if they were both fresh.
Yeah but Overeem and Shogun went to town on each other, where as Arona pretty much LnP'd.

Either way there isn't a good way to answer this question. Machida pretty much methodically robbed Rashad of all his options and set up the KO. Shogun just blitzed Arona and put him out. I would say that if there were a rematch, Arona would probably perform better in a second outing against Shogun than Rashad would against Machida.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
ZepLed

White Belt

Shogun!

ZepLed is offline   Reply With Quote