Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #51
SpeckledBob
hatchet man of the new world order

vCash: 500
Jones via greatness

SpeckledBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #52
AhuraMazda

Green Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Will Move View Post
he did this to a 255 pound man. if you aren't at least a little worried about cormier, you're delusional.
Annnnnnnnnnddddd END this fucking shitty thread. Jones better get that lube ready. This fight has prison beat down written all over it.

"I just don't knock them out...I pick the round."

~The GOAT
AhuraMazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #53
runnpray
Bearer of Universal Truth

The question isn't really if you should bet the house on Jones, it's how many houses to bet on Jones.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #54
footodors

Decision win for Bones with DC limping bad at the end and face busted up from elbows.

Conor McGregor - All aboaaaard!!!! (#5)
footodors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #55
Scamrock

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayweary View Post

Which opponent of DCs is as good at wrestling as Jones? I know that DC himself is an excellent wrestler and will be the best wrestler that Jones has faced, but DC has been fighter people that aren't on his OR Jones' level at wrestling. Jones stands a much better chance than anyone else DC has faced of neutralizing Cormier's take downs.
Henderson, Palelei, Cummims, and Monson. Not to mention Cormier has beat better wrestlers than Jones in actual wrestling matches. Jones isnt on Cormiers level in the wrestling area. Jones is an outstanding wrestler. Cormier is on another level.

Nobody is going to neutralize Cormiers takedowns. He has better takedowns than anyone in MMA, IMO. He has always had amazing takedowns, even back in his amateur wrestling days.

Scamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #56
aerozeppelin

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozze View Post
TS, from what I understood you're saying that people think DC has a chance to win based only of the Hendo fight?

That would be as dumb as you saying that he will not win based only on his fight with Hendo ("Jones is not hendo, hes way bigger, taller and smarter").

You know DC has faced guys bigger, taller and smarter right?
not all at the same time...

aerozeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #57
zephid

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomNT View Post
Lets be real here for a second, Jones is not hendo, hes way bigger, taller and smarter. His wrestlingis also better, the chances of DC taking Jones down and holding him there for majority of the fight are very very slim.

1) Jones has insane range, he can win a decision just by point fighting on his feet, throwing few jabs, few elbows and kicking the knees, we seen it before.

2) DC is highly over rated, his best win being an OLD and frail hendo who got lucky vs shogun after he was getting outclassed for 2 rounds.

Now lets face the sad reality that will hit you as soon as the fight starts, either he is able to ragdoll jones like he did vs hendo(very unlikely) or his takedown attempts get stuffed/denied and he struggles on his feet early, setting up the pace for the rest of the rounds. If he makes it out of the first, he wont make it past the second.

DC got thrown in there waaaaaay too early he definitely needed a top 5 opponent that is in his prime, this will be a fast fight.
So I guess you are getting ready to post a picture of your betting receipt?

zephid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #58
Wayweary

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamrock View Post
Henderson, Palelei, Cummims, and Monson. Not to mention Cormier has beat better wrestlers than Jones in actual wrestling matches. Jones isnt on Cormiers level in the wrestling area. Jones is an outstanding wrestler. Cormier is on another level.

Nobody is going to neutralize Cormiers takedowns. He has better takedowns than anyone in MMA, IMO. He has always had amazing takedowns, even back in his amateur wrestling days.
Cummins MMA ability is not high enough for his wrestling credentials to make a difference unless he could just blow DC out of the water in wrestling which obviously wasn't happening. And we all know what would happen if Cummins fought Jones. However, I don't think Cormier was able to rag doll Cummins, either, even with his decisive advantage in overall MMA. Cummins couldn't take him down with his poorly set up shots and had some sloppy clinch work which led to his downfall in that fight. Also, Cummins took that fight on 10 days notice. Not what I would call a legit test of DCs wrestling.

Henderson is small and old. Monson's wrestling is actually bad these days. Have you seen his recent fights? lol He's a BJJ guy, not a freaking wrestler, when it comes down to it. Palalei is not the best, either. He's not as good at wrestling as Jones at all. Did you see the Rosholt fight? And his record is padded.

Of course someone could neutralize his take downs. It's easier to stop a TD in MMA than it is to score one when someone defends properly. Has he succeeded on every shot he's ever taken? Don't think so. There is a lot you can do in MMA to make take downs even harder to get. Look at the Phil Davis vs Anthony Johnson fight. Who has the far better credentials and who shut down whose wrestling in that fight?

Wayweary is offline   Reply With Quote