Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #31
jeremyemilio

Brown Belt

vCash: 200
I don't think DC 'runs through' Jones. But whatev... I'm game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post
As the title says, this is for those who think DC is gonna be the one to grind Jones down and be the new UFC LHW champ. So ideally, I would prefer to just have those who think that post here, though of course the topic is gonna get trolled anyway. I used to think DC would be able to wreck any HW and LWH outside of Cain, but I am having increasing doubts and maybe if those who still have confidence in him could answer the following questions then it would help.

1. How exactly does Cormier deal with Jones' reach advantage considering he does not have the speed and agility to get inside where he is strongest? We can recall how, say, mark Hunt was able to do this for Struve, but I highly doubt that would ever work for Cormier.

Ummm... You do realize JJ is not the first 6' 4" fighter DC has fought, right? And that DC has 'speed and agility' to spare?

2. How will he deal with Jone's abilities in the clinch? He seems to not have Jone's experience in clinch fighting, especially since his wrestling background is mostly freestyle, and if he closes the distance with Jones the clinch seems unavoidable. So what does Cormier do?

What in hell are you talking about? If anyone will be trying to 'avoid' the clinch that night, it will be Jones.

3. How exactly does he stop Jones from taking him apart piece by piece with kicks and elbows considering his disadvantages in the speed and reflex department?

You were moving toward making a solid point... right up until the part I've highlighted in red. That part isn't even a thing.

4. How does he stop Jones from getting submissions on the ground or elbowing his way to victory on the ground?

By being on top.

jeremyemilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #32
GearSolidMetal

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skar71 View Post
Bones doesn't have this overwhelming speed advantage, he doesn't move like Gus, for the most part he's flat footed and stationary. Dc will grab him and throw him like a little child. Bones has no knockout power too so cormier will walk through the strikes. And cormier is definitely experienced in the clinch and will destroy bones if it goes there
Great response.

100% Agree.

GearSolidMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #33
AppliedScience

Green Belt

vCash: 1400
There is only one real question:

How does Cormier overcome the eye pokes?

AppliedScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #34
Forever Young
Yo Soy Das Ubermensch

Mmmm. The JBJ hate in this thread. Yum yum yum.

Best heel MMA has ever seen. Got these monkeys hatelucinating. That's where you hate someone or something so much that you have visions of shit that ain't really there. Or rather not seeing shit that IS there... Like the fucking 12 inch reach differential.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 AM   #35
The Cloud

Orange Belt

I don't think DC is going to stand there in a trance and let Jones kick him. DC is not afraid of Jones. At all. He wont show jones any respect. Thats how he will win.

The Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #36
Big Mike C

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljay1622 View Post
By wearing goggles ?
This is the correct answer.

Big Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #37
Bmurray

Green Belt

1) This will be Jones' best chance. Staying long and trying to injure DC early will be his strategy, so expect eyepokes (not talking shit, just being honest). I'm expecting lots of front kicks/push kicks, jabs, and oblique kicks, with elbows waiting when DC closes.

We've never seen DC rocked, so I think he can eat a few shows if needed on the way to the inside. DC is no slouch on his feet too; he has huge power and is surprisingly quick in the early rounds.

2) This one's easy, if DC gets close enough to be clinched, Jones is getting tossed or TD'd.

3) Same as #1 pmuch.

4) The ground is where DC is trying to go, not Jones. If they're on the ground its because DC took them there.

In the end I feel great fighters find a way to win, so we'll see what Jones comes up with. As I said, I think his path to victory is to injure DC early, and safely fight a handicapped fighter to a decision. I wouldn't be shocked to see a front kick KO or a submission of some kind though.

Its a great fight.

Bmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #38
aizen00

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejustice View Post
DC doesn't have the speed? Idk how to call this fight either way, but DC will actually have the speed advantage. JBJ isn't really that fast..... His best skills is that he attacks with crazy unpredictable striking and uses his length to pick people apart. I don't consider Glover to be very fast, and he got inside quite a few times. The key in this fight is going to be, when DC does get on the inside, will he be able to take him down and/or do some damage with strikes or will Jon clinch with him and punish him with them viscous elbows.

I would not say jones striking is unpredictable. He does a lot of the same shit over (spinning back elbow, eye pokes, and those illegal kicks). He has just been stronger and has some good techniques, but I bolieve that DC will stifle jones and hurt him and get the win.

aizen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #39
KDiesel32

We are going to see Jones be really tenative on his output in the fight, few kicks, low hands, purely on the fear of getting taken down. I would love to see cormier catch kicks and throw plenty of leg kicks. I think cormier will win, but jones is so crafty we never know his axe kick against glover was so fast so if u say his isnt fast slap yo self

KDiesel32 is offline   Reply With Quote