Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #201
TheonGreyJoy**
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiosh View Post
While it's probably true that Cormier's wrestling is better than any one thing Jones can do, I think he's seen as a threat because he isn't going to be afraid to wade in and grab a hold of Jones, and if he does he'll have the advantage. I don't consider him a more skilled mixed martial artist than Jones, but he's a bad match up for Jon's body type.

The best counter to a leg kick is a straight punch, which Jones can deliver from Arkansas. His legs are definitely his weak spot because if they weren't skinny he'd never make LHW, he's huge. Most of the time it looks like he's fighting dwarves, couldn't get over how tiny he made Shogun look.

First of all, those are terrible examples; none of those guys fights the way they should, and they have all paid dearly for it; I wish people would stop using them as examples. Also, they don't have his frame, they're just tall skinny guys, it's not the same thing. Finally... They're not as skilled as Jones.

He has a ten inch reach advantage (or more) on most guys he fights, which is insane. It's a really, really, really big deal. GSP, my favorite fighter, has a significant reach, and it's a huge part of why his jab is so good. Facts are facts.

No idea, it's an impossible question to answer. I will say that I think he wouldn't have been as good at Sambo and so he probably wouldn't have ended up in MMA, but who knows? He has one of the best fight IQ's in the history of the sport.
Yes historically a stocky, powerful body type has been the answer to the tall and lanky.

So much so that historically (pre Jones and Anderson to a degree) that it would have been foolish to see a tall lanky guy come in and think he had any advantage in his long lanky limbs.

And maybe the reason none of those guys (or anyone before and maybe very few after) fight properly is because it takes such a high level of skill to utilze that type of body properly such that the stocky guys won't just push through and manhandle you, that only a few super elite fighters (Jones and Anderson) have been able to obtain that skill threshold.

This may sound controversial to some but maybe that body style is actually a detriment to have as you grow up and dream of MMA because unless you are elite you will simply get brute forced into many losses by guys who might even be less skilled then you. I know that thought might fly in the face who seem to think long lanky limbs are such an advantage that Jones has less skill then his peers. But the opposite could in fact be true, as much as many would hate to admit it.

And so far the numbers in MMA of guys who have the skill to 'fight the way they should' might speak to an inability or lack of skill to fight they way they otherwise would.

TheonGreyJoy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #202
runnpray
Bearer of Universal Truth

vCash: 500
Jones has a great chance.