Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 PM   #21
SalvadorAllende

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Easy fight for Palelei. At 36 I would hope that they throw him to higher caliber opponents. Hope they put him against other giant after this fight (Soa/Bigfoot would be fun to watch).

SalvadorAllende is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #22
The Unbrain

White Belt

vCash: 500
I've got a theory on why Soa is fighting Potts, so hear me out. In his current run, he's beaten Krylov, who should drop to LHW after he steamed Walt "I'm huge but I'm not actually a fighter" Harris, and he's beaten a stand up guy in Barry.
I'm pretty sure the UFC wants to test him against someone who could be dangerous off their back, because there's not secret to Soa's gameplan.
That basically means jiu jitsu, in in the heavyweight division that means Werdum, Big Nog, Mir or maybe even Napao. They're either booked or just lost their last fight recently.
Potts won't set the world on fire but he is decent off his back, so I'm thinking this is basically a fight for Soa to show them what he's got against jiu jitsu. Problem being, Potts won't be able to take Soa down, and if Soa does manage to get full mount...well it's all over. Next opponent should be 10-15 ranked HW.

Wall was fighting up a weight division against Garcia and took that fight on super-late notice. A full training camp and he should be competitive against Salas - not saying he'll win, but it won't be nearly as bad as the Garcia fight.

The Unbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #23
benjaminbuttons

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNova View Post
Well I never thought I'd say that but still Palelei deserved better than a newcomer.
True but not a real lot of options out there.

Here is the list of guys who dont have fights at HW.

Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem, Josh Barnett, Antonio Silva, Mark Hunt, Stipe Miocic, Frank Mir, Stefan Struve, Gabe Gonzaga, Ben Rothwell, Brendan Schaub, Todd Duffee, Alexey Oleinik, Brandon Vera, Guto Inocente, Geronimo Dos Santos, Walt Harris

Schaub is the only guy out there who kinda makes sense. Lot of guys are hurt or too high up for Soa. I guess they could have booked him vs the Mitrione/Jordan winner but i think they are just trying to fill these cards out.

benjaminbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
BionicCommando

Red Belt

With JDS, Werdum/Browne and Overeem all floating about the top of the division, they need to build some depth. Ergo it's wise to not rush to knock Soa off the rungs this early (since I think any top 15 HWer would dice him up). Nothing wrong with depth building in the HW division.

Any guesses for the headliner.