Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
PolskiGhost

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Aussie Robert Whittaker on Fight Night 43, EA UFC, TUF, 3 things he'd take if he.....

We got a chance to interview Robert Whittaker at the EA Sports UFC Media day, and get his thoughts on a few topics leading up to UFC Fight Night: 43, aka "Fight Night: New Zealand"

Some topics covered:
-The Importance of fighting in the UFC's first New Zealand card
-Challenges His opponent Mike Rhodes brings at UFC Fight Night 43
-What he's improved on after back to back losses to Court McGee and Stephen Thompson
-Lack of success for the Aussies in the Ultimate Fighter: Australia vs Canada
-Wrestling and how Australians don't have it in school like Americans do
-Life After winning The Ultimate Fighter
-EA Sports UFC and his experience
-3 things he'd take if he was stuck on an island

The Importance of fighting in the UFC's first New Zealand card
"There is no higher honour than representing your country, in your country. And unfortunately I missed out last December when the UFC came to Australia, and I was spewing on it, it wasn't anyone's fault, but the fact that I get to fight in, you know, it's essentially my home town as well. It's unbelievable, I'm a part of history and a part of my homeland."

His last two fights, and coming off back to back losses to Court McGee and Stephen Thompson
"Coming off back to back losses sucks man. You know, the UFC have thrown some tough dudes at me, and I want them to keep throwing tough dudes at me, I want those fights."

What he's improved on since his last fight
"I really feel like I'm starting to get a grip on my fight style, and my game, and what I have to offer. I've taken back a step, I've taken what I've learnt, back to my roots, you know what I mean. And I'm perfecting myself as a fighter, and look out the next opponent, and the one after that, and the one after that."

"I think it's no secret that I worked a lot of wrestling. Australia doesn't have a huge wrestling background, so going overseas and training a lot of wrestling really improved my game."

The Ultimate Fighter experience
"The Ultimate fighter is a funny place. They really try and take the fun out of it and put you in really uncomfortable positions, to the point where it starts to affect your fighting."

@SubmissionAUS
https://www.youtube.com/user/submissionradioau
Stitcher, iTunes, Tune In Radio
PolskiGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
MGS

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
I really like Robert, his style is very nice to watch. ( He Knocked out Colton Smith, you have to like that kid )

MGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
PolskiGhost

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS View Post
I really like Robert, his style is very nice to watch. ( He Knocked out Colton Smith, you have to like that kid )
lol, Yeh I think he definitely earned a lot of fans for that one. And his style is very easy to watch, he just leaves himself a little too open at times. The UFC basically needs him to win in order to keep him marketable to Aussies. I believe that all if not most of the Aussies in the UFC are currently doing it tough and coming off losses.

@SubmissionAUS
https://www.youtube.com/user/submissionradioau
Stitcher, iTunes, Tune In Radio
PolskiGhost is offline   Reply With Quote