Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #21
RawDawgBob

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
I think Wand is being smart and relizes that he's not the fighter he once was. Why get another L on his record? I would rather him get it on with another striker.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #22
MilesAbove
MODAFFERI MOBSTER

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic_Man View Post
Please don't make sense. It doesn't bode well on sherdog.
My mistake. What I meant to say was: "Phil Baroni is GOAT and Wandy has been ducking him for years ever since the Coleman armbreak situation. Wandy now is using the Yakuza to stiffle NYBA's career and relegating it to part-time announcing for SFL... and this whole Chael situation is just a paid stunt, as Chael is actually Burt McCallister, an protege of Josh Barnett in the Japanese Pro-Wrestling circuit, who was brought up to take focus off the real issue."

More Sherdoggy?

MilesAbove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
Fantastic_Man

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAbove View Post
My mistake. What I meant to say was: "Phil Baroni is GOAT and Wandy has been ducking him for years ever since the Coleman armbreak situation. Wandy now is using the Yakuza to stiffle NYBA's career and relegating it to part-time announcing for SFL... and this whole Chael situation is just a paid stunt, as Chael is actually Burt McCallister, an protege of Josh Barnett in the Japanese Pro-Wrestling circuit, who was brought up to take focus off the real issue."

More Sherdoggy?
Much better! More TRT and fighter pay next time though.

Fantastic_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Dochter
Minerals, not rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodad View Post
He has been called out straight up, by a guy who has been calling him out for years and has been insulting him and his country.
Sonnen has only been relevant in MMA for a little over three years (beating Marquardt). Sonnen's pro-wrestling schtick has only been going on for three years.
Whatever calling out of Wand that Sonnen has done has been over an even shorter amount of time. A good amount of that time Sonnen was also suspended for his TRT usage (who ya gonna call: Dr. Feelgood).

Sonnen wasn't calling anyone out, or rather no one would know since he was utterly irrelevant, when fighting Wanderlei meant something. Back then Sonnen was acting like Filho didn't tap him and was as confused as Filho about ghosts in the cage.

Sonnen is, now, a very good fighter but just set aside this sort of crap. What's next, Sonnen calling out Liddel?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #25
The Clinch
Schwarzbier Belt.

vCash: 50
Met the guy, chatted, and shook his hand about a year ago.

It was like shaking a thanksgiving turkey.

Bisping | Boetsch | Calderwood | Faber | Grant
Hunt | DJ | Jorgensen | Jung | McGregor | Penne
GSP | JDS | Wand | Genki Sudo | Torres | Zingano
The Clinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
Ackrite

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythrel View Post
I agree with your statement that Wand doesn't like Sonnen's persona or antics, but why would that make him NOT want to fight him. I think that would make him want to shut him up even more.
Wandy hasn't fought a grapple first fighter since 2006. Why the hell would he want to fight a Chael Sonnen, win or lose? Some grown men can handle punks calling them out without having to respond. It's often referred to as maturity.

Wanderlei has been saying for years that he wants guys who come to stand and bang like he does so he can put on great shows for the fans. While Chael is exciting (imo) he doesn't like to put on the kind of fights Wanderlei does.

I'm a big fan of both guys but the only reason I see Wanderlei taking the fight is if he is letting Chael get to him. Which is about the stupidest reason to fight someone as a pro fighter. Chael on the other hand wants big money fights and Wanderlei is one of the most popular fighters so it is a no-brainer for him.

Ackrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
Mancini
With Out Papers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochter View Post
Sonnen has only been relevant in MMA for a little over three years (beating Marquardt). Sonnen's pro-wrestling schtick has only been going on for three years.
Whatever calling out of Wand that Sonnen has done has been over an even shorter amount of time. A good amount of that time Sonnen was also suspended for his TRT usage (who ya gonna call: Dr. Feelgood).

Sonnen wasn't calling anyone out, or rather no one would know since he was utterly irrelevant, when fighting Wanderlei meant something. Back then Sonnen was acting like Filho didn't tap him and was as confused as Filho about ghosts in the cage.

Sonnen is, now, a very good fighter but just set aside this sort of crap. What's next, Sonnen calling out Liddel?
yeah, the way everyone talks is that he has been a world beater for a decade

Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Dochter
Minerals, not rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
yeah, the way everyone talks is that he has been a world beater for a decade
Yeah, it's funny. At least Chael recognizes that Rua is the best win of his career, of what, 4-5 good/okay wins (Rua, Bisping, Marquardt, Okami, Miller)?

It is weird that people believe the crap about Sonnen calling out people "for years". At the time of his first fight with AS, Sonnen said the same thing and people believed it and believed AS had been ducking Sonnen. I thought "Really? You weren't relevant a year ago and I doubt AS knew who you were."

Sonnen is quite good but some of the shit that get's said by fans is so silly.