Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #61
HuntersCreed

vCash: 3700
Willing? Name your price.
Able? Roughly $200

HuntersCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #62
DVN**
Banned

vCash: 500
60 bucks a year

DVN** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #63
Han Solo
Banned

25-30$ for a PPV seems fair considering the absence of rarity, the questionable quality of some cards, etc.

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #64
quick5pnt0cobra
Now I Have a Machine Gun...... Ho Ho Ho

vCash: 400
When it comes to televised sports it should all be free. $60 a month is insane.

USA MMA Fans: Do you realize that the events the UFC charges you $60 for they give away for FREE in England and South America? Support free MMA, stop buying PPVs!
quick5pnt0cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #65
Lanshire

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Pedro View Post
One question not being asked enough when it comes to these interminable discussions about fighter pay is: How much are you willing to pay to watch a fighter fight?

When people cite the NFL and NBA as examples of where fighter pay ought to be, they may not understand just how expensive being fans of those sports can be or where the money comes from.

Advertising revenue from broadcast television covers a lot of the expense, but MMA is far from popular enough to generate big bucks that way.

Huge public subsidies for stadiums and arenas help keep operating costs down for NBA and NFL teams, and citizens don't realize the extra tax dollars are essentially supporting the local teams.

The expense of going to NFL and NBA games has also increased at a very rapid rate the past few decades.

Finally, teams generate a lot of revenue through merchandising. I bought my wife a Joe Thomas jersey for her birthday. She was happy, and it paid for my team to hopefully stop sucking so bad. Hardcore MMA fans love to mock people in MMA gear.

With MMA's current format, I'm guessing that fighters making more will raise the price of PPVs. There's just no way some of the expense of higher pay more acceptable to Sherdog won't get passed on to the fans. How much would you be willing to pay for a PPV without a bunch of big names* on it?
*(I'm excluding the big draws, because they already make decent money. The real complaints are almost always about mid and low tier fighters.)

tl/dr save the same recycled arguments for the thousand other threads there will be on this subject this week. Just answer this: How much are you willing to spend to watch a card of mid tier fighters?
Regardig fighter pay and it causing the price of mma to rise - thats not the way it works. Its a common misconception but economically isnt really true. The ufc is going to set the price of mma t an optimal amount to sell the most units. If they thought they could sell nearly as well at a higher price, theyd do it anyway. They dont give us a discount out of the goodness of their heart.