Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #151
paynebringer

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Good post TS, I agree with most you had to say. I think Chris is a very good fighter but I don't see him holding that belt long term MW division has become a very hot place to be even hotter if you the champ.
I would be surprised to see if Weidman holds that belt by the end of 2014.

paynebringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #152
blitzk

Brown Belt

vCash: 904
i think he's good, lacks a few things but his well roundedness makes him more dangerous than his technical abilities could do for him.

i don't think he will have more than a couple title defenses nor that he should be in the top 5 P4P discussion.

blitzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #153
The Real Pedro

Red Belt

vCash: 11777
He's the most over rated fighter in the UFC. He's also the most underrated.

It happens. An NFL poll a few years back had Eli Manning win both most over and most under rated player:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...-underrated-qb

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/1...e-of-all-time/

Favorite fighters
SHW: Zhang Fei
HW: Gilgamesh
LHW: Beowulf
MW: Hector
WW: John Carter
LW: King David
FW: Wiglaf
BW: Cuchulain of Muirthemne
FLW: Baldwin IV of Jerusalem
The Real Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #154
Got GOAT

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411dd View Post
Im not really talking about testing weidman's chin or endurance, Im talking about weidman being tested by a general array of elite level of competition. I don't think he's done that.
That depends on who you consider "elite". Maia has elite grappling and didn't have anything for Weidman after having to cut so much weight on short notice without any real training camp. Was Maia an elite fighter at MW? I would say no, but he was pretty good and even better at WW now that he isn't so undersized compared to many of the other MW's (Weidman included). Silva was/is elite and the greatest MW of all time. He wasn't able to test Chris or have him in any kind of danger.

Weidman will have Belfort, Machida, Jacare, Rockhold, Kennedy and others in time to potentially test him everywhere. Belfort's up next obviously but I'm quite positive that his TDD won't be enough to keep Weidman from taking him down and putting a clinic on him with GnP and sub attempts. He hasn't been tested by an array of elite level competition yet but that's just a matter of time. Facing Silva in his last 2 fights is a good start though.

1-0 in account bets
1-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #155
Dontevenguess93

Green Belt

Honestly, if he's as good as he seemed against Anderson there is no immediate competition IMO outside if Belfort. One thing people can't deny is yes Anderson could have mounted a comeback but what's fact is that Andy was never having his way with Weidman in 3 or so rounds they spent fighting.

Dontevenguess93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #156
411dd

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got GOAT View Post
That depends on who you consider "elite". Maia has elite grappling and didn't have anything for Weidman after having to cut so much weight on short notice without any real training camp. Was Maia an elite fighter at MW? I would say no, but he was pretty good and even better at WW now that he isn't so undersized compared to many of the other MW's (Weidman included). Silva was/is elite and the greatest MW of all time. He wasn't able to test Chris or have him in any kind of danger.

Weidman will have Belfort, Machida, Jacare, Rockhold, Kennedy and others in time to potentially test him everywhere. Belfort's up next obviously but I'm quite positive that his TDD won't be enough to keep Weidman from taking him down and putting a clinic on him with GnP and sub attempts. He hasn't been tested by an array of elite level competition yet but that's just a matter of time. Facing Silva in his last 2 fights is a good start though.
I would consider the elite. Belfort, Lyoto, Gegard, and jacare(borderline). Silva is certanly elite but like I said I need to see him beat more than one guy. And the way the silva fight ended left me still wanting to see more before I can make an assessment of him. For now, imo he is waaaaaay overrated. I still rate gegard lyoto and belfort above him for now, as they are proven and time tested and highly ranked. I don't think a mma math ranking is an assesment of a fighter, I can't put him ahead of those guys, based on his capability, because of his win over silva.

411dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #157
trblesome1

Purple Belt

vCash: 2287
The real question is how butt hurt are the Silva fans to still be making these threads

trblesome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #158
sonhow

Green Belt

I still think Anderson will be better (as a whole career) but Weidman might be the best fighter on the current roster p4p. Vitor fight tells a lot.

sonhow is offline   Reply With Quote