Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #61
pick999

Purple Belt
 
pick999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,980
vCash: 50
where was that world bjj vs tim?

pick999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #62
robotsonic

Green Belt
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,476
vCash: 50
This thread reminds me of why I hate 99% of MMA fans. Disrespectful, loud mouthed shitheads.

The same guys who have never fought a day in their life telling a world champion he needs to shut up because no-one cares about what he says...and not getting the irony in that. Jesus...

Not saying that Roger would win a title but he'd definitely be competitive wth a lot of people at 205 currently.

robotsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #63
FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
 
FlowWithTheGo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsonic View Post
This thread reminds me of why I hate 99% of MMA fans. Disrespectful, loud mouthed shitheads.

The same guys who have never fought a day in their life telling a world champion he needs to shut up because no-one cares about what he says...and not getting the irony in that. Jesus...

Not saying that Roger would win a title but he'd definitely be competitive wth a lot of people at 205 currently.
This.

I hope that everyone in this thread has their boss slash their pay in half after they make a mistake, despite the fact that they were hired at a certain amount previously. Then we'll all get together and call you a worthless pussy who sucks when you complain about it.

FlowWithTheGo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #64
sprucelees

Silver Belt
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,953
vCash: 500
would be interesting if they had org vs org fights instead like in a regular season, and at the end of the year based on fighter records, have a playoffs/world series held to crown champs but that would really kill the number of jobs available

__________________
HW: Fedor
LHW: Shogun
MW: Kang
WW: GSP
LW: Penn
sprucelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #65
Break_the_will

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowWithTheGo23 View Post
This.

I hope that everyone in this thread has their boss slash their pay in half after they make a mistake, despite the fact that they were hired at a certain amount previously. Then we'll all get together and call you a worthless pussy who sucks when you complain about it.
This analogy is so tired and faulty its ridiculous.

First, fighters are signed knowing full well that the contract itself is performance dependent. If a fighter does fantastic, the company will compensate him more than he was originally contractually guaranteed to make. By your logic, even if a fighter became a world champion, he should get paid the same as long as he still has fights remaining on his contract. Thats foolish.

Secondly, most people working in the United States are employees. They are protected by certain federal guidelines that prevent unfair treatment. That being said, if you are unable to perform the duties your employment agreement requires the employer has every right to fire you with just cause.

Third, Fighters are independent contractors. Anyone who has ever been a 1099 knows that you are not guaranteed anything when you're an independent contractor. Your services can be terminated without cause or warning. It's the nature of this form of contract.

In short, your point is completely flawed. The UFC is not a monopoly, and have the right to renegotiate contracts with their INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (Not employees) as they see fit... especially in situations like Rogers where the contract has expired, and they are now entering into a completely new contract that has no precedents with said fighter.

Break_the_will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #66
FlowWithTheGo23

Black Belt
 
FlowWithTheGo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Break_the_will View Post
This analogy is so tired and faulty its ridiculous.

First, fighters are signed knowing full well that the contract itself is performance dependent. If a fighter does fantastic, the company will compensate him more than he was originally contractually guaranteed to make. By your logic, even if a fighter became a world champion, he should get paid the same as long as he still has fights remaining on his contract. Thats foolish.

Secondly, most people working in the United States are employees. They are protected by certain federal guidelines that prevent unfair treatment. That being said, if you are unable to perform the duties your employment agreement requires the employer has every right to fire you with just cause.

Third, Fighters are independent contractors. Anyone who has ever been a 1099 knows that you are not guaranteed anything when you're an independent contractor. Your services can be terminated without cause or warning. It's the nature of this form of contract.

In short, your point is completely flawed. The UFC is not a monopoly, and have the right to renegotiate contracts with their INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (Not employees) as they see fit... especially in situations like Rogers where the contract has expired, and they are now entering into a completely new contract that has no precedents with said fighter.
That happens all the time, a la Renan Barao when he was making garbage pay despite having defended the belt multiple times. Most of your other points are nonsense, with you randomly bringing up 1099s and other documents you don't understand to back them up. The UFC treats it's fighters like shit, and it's "fans" love it.

FlowWithTheGo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #67
Break_the_will

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowWithTheGo23 View Post
That happens all the time, a la Renan Barao when he was making garbage pay despite having defended the belt multiple times. Most of your other points are nonsense, with you randomly bringing up 1099s and other documents you don't understand to back them up. The UFC treats it's fighters like shit, and it's "fans" love it.
I've worked as an independent contractor for most of my career, so i beg to differ. I think it's more that you want to be the champion for anti-UFC rhetoric even when it has no basis in reality.

Barao's contracted pay wasn't the best but it certainty wasn't terrible like people love to claim. He made 150k based on his contract for UFC 169. He was an interim champion for every one of his "defenses" you mention... and the ONE fight he was the full champion he got smashed.

All of which is completely irrelevant because it's well documented that fighters, especially champions of any kind, are paid very well "behind closed doors". This, despite the fact that Aldo and Barao combined couldn't move the buy rate past 230k.

Can you provide an example of another situation where a champion was "grossly" underpaid?

Break_the_will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #68
Malbec
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapchoppin View Post
if they're a monopoly then why do Bellator, ONEFC and WSOF exist?
I used to think as you do but to be honest, none of those organizations really are viable options for fighters. Fighters wanting to make a name for themselves really only have the UFC to do it in. Additionally, fighters bargaining position remains very weak by comparison to the UFC. The UFC is under almost no pressure to sign anyone and simply offer fighters a "take it or leave it" contract. Only a few fighters, like Jon Jones, Rousey, or Georges St. Pierre had bargaining power. Most of the fighters do not.

__________________
I was once,'Pokeystotle.' Sors de l'enfants, ami, revielle toi!
Malbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #69
Bigj383

Gold Belt
 
Bigj383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 17,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowWithTheGo23 View Post
That happens all the time, a la Renan Barao when he was making garbage pay despite having defended the belt multiple times. Most of your other points are nonsense, with you randomly bringing up 1099s and other documents you don't understand to back them up. The UFC treats it's fighters like shit, and it's "fans" love it.
You have no idea what Renan Barao was making and don't quote the fake MMAmanifesto numbers either. That fraud site has caused fighters huge problems in negotiating pay on the small circuit.

__________________
"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever." - Aristophanes
Bigj383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"