Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #651
Arkain2K
Si vis pacem, para bellum

vCash: 16769
UFC LAUNCHES WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT DIVISION WITH THE ADDITION OF 11 NEW ATHLETES

The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that the Invicta FC women’s mixed martial arts organization has assigned the contracts of 11 women’s strawweight (115 pounds) competitors to the UFC. Terms of the assignment were not disclosed.

The 11 fighters are: Carla Esparza, Claudia Gadelha, Felice Herrig, Joanne Calderwood, Tecia Torres, Rose Namajunas, Bec Hyatt, Emily Kagan, Alex Chambers, Julianna Lima, and Paige Van Zant.

In May, these 11 competitors will report to Las Vegas and participate on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter® in the first-ever all-women’s edition of the show. And for the first time ever, The Ultimate Fighter® will crown a UFC champion, as the winner of season 20 will become the inaugural UFC women’s strawweight champion.

Coaches for the show have not yet been determined. An additional five fighters will be selected for The Ultimate Fighter via a tryout set to be held in 2014.

“The women’s 135-pound division in the UFC has been amazing and we know there are a ton of talented women’s mixed martial artists out there,” UFC president Dana White said. “Now, you’ll see even more great women’s bouts in the UFC with the addition of the 115-pound division. We’re excited to crown the first-ever UFC women’s strawweight champion in 2014 after a historic season of The Ultimate Fighter.”

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-11-straw...invicta-tuf-20

I survived "TPF 10 - Let the Streams Fail".
Arkain2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #652
JKS

Steel Belt

vCash: 500
I don't care

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #653
Felis

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkain2K View Post
UFC LAUNCHES WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT DIVISION WITH THE ADDITION OF 11 NEW ATHLETES

The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced today that the Invicta FC women’s mixed martial arts organization has assigned the contracts of 11 women’s strawweight (115 pounds) competitors to the UFC. Terms of the assignment were not disclosed.

The 11 fighters are: Carla Esparza, Claudia Gadelha, Felice Herrig, Joanne Calderwood, Tecia Torres, Rose Namajunas, Bec Hyatt, Emily Kagan, Alex Chambers, Julianna Lima, and Paige Van Zant.

In May, these 11 competitors will report to Las Vegas and participate on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter® in the first-ever all-women’s edition of the show. And for the first time ever, The Ultimate Fighter® will crown a UFC champion, as the winner of season 20 will become the inaugural UFC women’s strawweight champion.

Coaches for the show have not yet been determined. An additional five fighters will be selected for The Ultimate Fighter via a tryout set to be held in 2014.

“The women’s 135-pound division in the UFC has been amazing and we know there are a ton of talented women’s mixed martial artists out there,” UFC president Dana White said. “Now, you’ll see even more great women’s bouts in the UFC with the addition of the 115-pound division. We’re excited to crown the first-ever UFC women’s strawweight champion in 2014 after a historic season of The Ultimate Fighter.”

http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-11-straw...invicta-tuf-20
Well, pretty much as expected.

Not good for Invicta. Hopefully they at least got some money out of this.

Any guesses who the coaches will be?

Felis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #654
Arkain2K
Si vis pacem, para bellum

vCash: 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felis View Post
Well, pretty much as expected.

Not good for Invicta. Hopefully they at least got some money out of this.

Any guesses who the coaches will be?
UFC acquires 11 fighters from Invicta FC, launches women’s strawweight division with ‘TUF 20′

One month after signaling an interest to open a new UFC women’s division, the promotion has gone all in on strawweights.

UFC President Dana White today announced the promotion has acquired the contracts of 11 Invicta FC fighters, who will compete on the first all-women season of “The Ultimate Fighter” for the inaugural UFC strawweight title.

Filming for the show kicks off May 18 and features Carla Esparza (9-2), Alex Chambers (4-1), Claudia Gadelha (11-0), Felice Herrig (9-5), Bec Hyatt (5-3), Emily Kagan (3-1), Juliana Lima (6-1), Rose Namajunas (2-1), Tecia Torres (4-0), Paige VanZant (3-1) and Joanne Calderwood (8-0). A debut date for the first episode wasn’t immediately announced.

White told MMAjunkie that the participants likely will be coached by men, but isn’t ruling out female coaches. He added that a date and location for the show’s finale and title fight has yet to be determined.

“The fans like it, I’m thrilled with it, and we’re going to dive into the 115-pound division,” White said. “We’re invested, we’re in, as far as the women go.”

White said the UFC will continue to work with Invicta, which he said would rebuild its strawweight division.

“We’ll continue to work with them and other promoters,” he said.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/ufc-acq...n-with-tuf-20/

I survived "TPF 10 - Let the Streams Fail".
Arkain2K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #655
Stillhere

Yellow Belt

Im waiting for the mens and womens miget wrestling.. oh oh i mean ufc

Stillhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #656
billynjimmylee

Green Belt

No Rachel Wray ?? Me no Likey .

But seriously .. I've never watched a Womens 115 Fight (well I have but I mean in MMA) are they more skilled and technical then the wbw's ? Might watch or might completely skip that Season of TUF .. Occasionaly some sherdoggers have good insight .. So I'll what people say then decide.

I guess it's good though ? In terms of ..... Filling up cards ?

BJ Penn
Georges St Pierre
Rory Mcdonald
Alexander Gustafsson
Ronda Rousey
Khabib Nurmagomedov
Habib Jackson
Greg Urry
Andre Winner
James Pullen
GOAT Connor Mcgregor
billynjimmylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #657
OldBoy91

Brown Belt

Love it, the fighters they have picked up are great, especially Calderwood!

Slightly bemused at the lack of Hamasaki and Inoue though. Two top talents at 115 and the latter recently defeated Hyatt, who the ufc have picked up.

OldBoy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #658
Lucifer Alpha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy91 View Post
Love it, the fighters they have picked up are great, especially Calderwood!

Slightly bemused at the lack of Hamasaki and Inoue though. Two top talents at 115 and the latter recently defeated Hyatt, who the ufc have picked up.
Probably because they don't speak English.

youtu.be/-u__jYLsnJ0
Lucifer Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote